SubZero_Wolf Expert
SubZero_Wolf Expert, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Licensed Appliance Journeyman
46655473

I have a Viking downdraft, model VIPR160, whihc has sotpped

I have a Viking downdraft, model VIPR160, whihc has sotpped motoring up and down and does not activate the external blower on the outside of the house.

Could the problem be the ciruit board?

SubZero_Wolf Expert :

Hello, I can help you with this. The blower is only engaged when the unit is up so problem would have to be one of the two boards or the lift motor itself. When you press the up/down button do you hear any noise?

Customer:

I am not at the home myself but my wife tells me that she hears the motor humming when the up or down button is pushed.

SubZero_Wolf Expert :

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX me that some voltage is getting to the lift motor,a technician or someone with a voltmeter would have to verify that that 120v is there but the most likely failure at this point would be lift motor. I have seen several of these fail and when the boards fail they tend not to send any power to the motor, not partial. Is this something that you can check when you return home? Do you have a voltmeter? Also note that the lift motors are around 400-500$ for parts.

Customer:

Do you know where I can get a lift motor? It seems they do not make them any longer.

Customer:

I am traveling away form home on business and will not be able to put a voltmeter on it for the next several days. I will try to get my neighbor to do that for me. What readings are you looking for?

SubZero_Wolf Expert :

There are some models that the motor isn't available from Viking, others are, If you hav ethe model number I'll go on the Viking page and tell you for sure. You are looking for a reading of 120v at the two motor wires Measured when on and trying to lift) or an ohm reading not 0 or open (around 75k ohm) at the motor connections with the unit off and wires disconnected from motor.

Customer:

The part number is XXXXX

SubZero_Wolf Expert :

Thanks for looking that up, do you know model? The viking drawing show substitutions if any have been given.

Customer:

My model is VIPR 160.If it is not longer available can you tell me if the same motor is used in the DIPP160? I have found one of those available that I could use the motro from

SubZero_Wolf Expert :

looking it up right now

SubZero_Wolf Expert :

PV300122 is the number for the DIP line so it won't work, Let me look for the 003 on some other vendors I know. Just take a second.

SubZero_Wolf Expert :

Noone has it for this model, I mean noone. You should still verify the voltage because if there isn't voltage at the motor you can still get the boards and of course it is always a possibility (not likely) that a wire is loose. Do you know if the blower is mounted on the machine or remotely. I ask because its something you could easily open up if the blower is mounted elsewhere.

Customer:

It has an external blower.

SubZero_Wolf Expert :

Then opening up the cover and checking the voltage should only take you 30 minutes.

SubZero_Wolf Expert :

It's all right up front when you take off the front cover.

Customer:

So how should I proceed? check the voltage to the motor. if no reading then order the pC board and try that? if there is a readind on the motor then I owuld need to order a replacemnt unit as the motor is not available?

SubZero_Wolf Expert :

Exactly, if you read 120 to motor or motor ohms are not open or shorted, then you will need a new machine, if you don't see either then we would have to check the motor output at the board.

Customer:

thanks.

Customer:

I will let you know what i find out.

SubZero_Wolf Expert :

Thanks!

SubZero_Wolf Expert :

Anytime you post here I will be notified, Let me know what you find and if you need any further assistance. When you feel that my help has been sufficient please rate the help so I can get compensated. Thanks and good luck.