SubZero_Wolf Expert
SubZero_Wolf Expert, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Licensed Appliance Journeyman
46655473

I have an older sub zero 48 inch fridge/freezer. the outside

Customer Question

I have an older sub zero 48 inch fridge/freezer. the outside stainless edge is hot! Just pulled the top grill off and cleaned the air intake, it was pretty dirty. Could that cause the motor to run really hot?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  SubZero_Wolf Expert replied 2 years ago.

SubZero_Wolf Expert :

Hello, I can help you with this. The clog can cause this for sure. make sure that you verify that the whole condenser (air intake) is clean, verify that light will shine through it. Use compressed air if not. If you have cleaned the up top area and it remains hot then there is a fan motor up top that has failed, This will proceed a non-cooling situation so you should replace the fan soon. The part number is(NNN) NNN-NNNN If you have cleaned and the unit is now ok then not to worry at all. Let me know if you need any further assistance, I remain at your disposal. Thanks, Sam.

Customer:
SubZero_Wolf Expert :

I'm sorry your text came across as blank.

Experience: Licensed Appliance Journeyman
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you, it was the fan. It was filthy. I cleaned the blades and it is spinning properly now. Crazy part about this is that the compressor was replaced last summer. One would think that the serviceman would have cleaned out the compressor cabinet when they installed the new compressor. The fan just could not get that dirty in a year. I will keep an eye on it, maybe I will be eating my words.

PS I hate the website, my first reply did not get to you. Who knows this one may not make it either. Thanks for the good advice.

Sorry for any trouble, usually things work pretty smooth. Glad I was able to help. Feel free to post here is you need anything additional on this. Thanks, Sam