Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

We have a GE XL40 oven. Ever since this weekends storm when

We have a GE XL40 oven. Ever since this weekend's storm when the power went off and on repetitively, the oven takes forever (10 or so minutes) to turn on and the clock is dead. The burners and broiler is fine. What do you think? We need a new oven???

Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today

Was the clock dead before the storm ? can you get me the full model number ?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The clock was fine before the power outages.
okay, If you can get me the full model number from inside the bottom drawer i will look up the info and let you know weather its worth repairing or not.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Model #Jgbs21hed2ww
perfect. okay the clock is fairly cheap its around $61.00 so thats no to bad. I see the broiler is in the bottom of the oven (in the drawer correct ?) and you say the broiler lights fine ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I can live without the clock. The broiler is fine.
The oven takes 10 minutes to turn on.
okay so the broil comes on right away and lights ? but the bake takes ten minutes to light ? just want to make sure thats whats going on .
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Okay one more question before I know for sure what the issue is, when you put this on back does the igniter start glowing right away ? just try the oven and look in where the broil is and tell me if the igniter starts to glow a few seconds after you turn it on. Sorry for all the questions i just don't want to mis diagnose this.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The igniter is lit.
okay, the reason I needed to know that was so i could eliminate the thermostat as the cause.since the igniter lights the broiler right away we can eliminate the igniter also. this leaves the gas safety valve. thats all thats left in this. this is $119.45 and has to be replaced by a certified tech unfortunately. one leak in replacing this and you could have an explosion. (not trying to scare you) just want you to be safe, this is something you should not do yourself. At least you know , the labor for this kind of job is usually around $100.00 hope this helps, thanks and be safe. Bryan
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Is it safe to use "as is" or is there just concern with an explosion when you replace the valve?
its safe its just going to take a while to heat up. the valve is electronic and its damaged but not leaking. if you smell gas then i wouldn't use it but if your not its just going to take a while to heat up. the valve works by opening when the igniter draws enough can try replacing the igniter and see if it lights quicker. sometimes that will compensate for the valve by drawing more amps faster. I cant say for sure but you can replace that yourself its electrical only (no gas connections involved) you can order that for $32.00 at the following link. thanks and best wishes, Bryan
I hope you received my last post. We are having site issue's if so the only thing I ask of you is to please rate me with one of the top 3 ratings. If there is anything else I can help you with today just let me know. You can continue asking questions for as long as you like even after you rate me. Click the continue conversation link if you would like to continue this conversation. If you are done rather than rating me with a 1 or 2 smiley faces please use the (continue conversation) link and tell me what else I can do or what else you would like to know so that I can get you that information so I can improve my customer satisfaction rating. You may receive an email with my answer if so please sign back in and accept on the site itself. Its the only way I get paid for helping you. thank you and best wishes , Bryan