Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

The drum in my front loading GE washing machine is loose and

The drum in my front loading GE washing machine is loose and leaving black circles on the clothes. What can I do?

Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today

do you have the model number ?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i dont know. where do i find it
open the door and there will be a tag with the model number.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
perfect ! okay when you say the drum is loose does the whole drum (stainless inside) move up and down and in and out ? is it real loose ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes and yes
okay thats not good. it means the rear drum bearing is either gone or the back of the drum has broken loose from the tines on the back of the drum. I hate giving bad news about these but either way its bad news, if the drum broke its $579.00 for just the stainless drum. and if the bearing is bad its only sold pressed into the rear tub assembly on these. which means this whole piece has to be replaced. stupid setup I know and theres no way to fix it without taking the entire machine apart. the drum with the bearing is $427.00 alone. I wish I had better news. I hate giving bad news, sorry, hope this helps answer your questions though. thanks Bryan