Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

I have Maytag dryer model MEDC400VW0 and as soon as the timer

I have Maytag dryer model MEDC400VW0 and as soon as the timer is turned to a cycle (any cycle other than Air Fluff) the heating element engages. This is true BEFORE I press the start button, and it is true whether or not the loading door is open. I replaced the timer thinking that was probably the issue, but a new timer did not resolve the issue. If/when the timer is in one of the OFF positions, the heating element disengages as normal.

I pressed the start button when the heating element engages, but the motor does not start. I need help!
Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today

Did you test the heating element for a short ? usually what happens on these particular dryers is the heating element shorts to ground and this is turn blows the thermal fuse in the dryer (thus no starting) you need to check the element. when you turn the timer to a cycle it sends power to one side of the element and it will start to heat because its grounded. the thermal fuse will also need to be replaced. do you have a multimeter ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes, I checked the element, and all seems to be in order. There are no broken wires or anything amiss. Yes, I have a multimeter.

okay I need you to test the element just the same. can you remove the element from the dryer and set you multimeter to ohms and place one probe on the metal can the element is in and the other to one of the terminals and tell me if you get a reading ? these elements can be deceiving and can be touching the metal which shorts it to ground. can you check that ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes, but I'm at work right now and don't have the element with me. My wife is on her way here now with the element (should be here by 10:30a EST). I assume this case will remain open until the issue is resolved? I rated this as "important" because we've been without a functioning dryer since last Friday and my wife is irritated something awful! As soon as she gets here with the element I'll have it checked and let you know.
okay I'll be on later just let me know what you find. thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Checked element with ohm meter and there is no resistance (zero reading). At this point I'm just going to schedule an in-home service call and have someone fix it rather than me trying to fix it. Thanks anyway.
okay , sorry . there has to be a problem if I had to guess the motor centrifugal switch.thats the only thing left that can send power to the heater. have them check that. I tried but if you don't want to get to far into it thats fine. i cant say I blame you for that. LOL have a great weekend, Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I called a service tech but their prices have gone up DRAMATICALLY and I cannot afford that. I am at home today and I have GOT to get this fixed. Since I paid for this service I assume you are still going to help me trouble shoot this?

After our last conversation I had one of the electricians at work check the ohms of the element, and he told me I had the meter set to the wrong setting. Indeed the element was being grounded. He took it apart and found where an element coil was touching the housing. We pushed the coil back into position from where it had seemingly swelled. He checked the ohms again an zero (0) there was no reading. He then checked the the ceramic thing (don't know what it's called) that he explained to me was supposed to sense how how it was and turn the element off. Again, he said it was functional.

I brought the element home last night and put it all back together. The problem with the element engaging as soon as I turn the dial to a cycle has been aleviated; however, the dryer will NOT START. I've checked all the wiring and it is correct. I checked the door to assure it was closed...and it was. I've assured electricity is reaching the dryer, and that is evident by the light inside the tub being illuminated.

When I press the start button there is absolutely nothing happening. I listened for any type noise (e.g. low hum, clicking, etc), but there was none. I need help!

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: Other.
I am very time-crunched as the appliance parts warehouse in my local area closes at noon. So I need to test whatever it is then determine if I need to buy something before the store closes. Bryan has done a good job thus far, but I'm open if he were the first to answer.
Hi welcome to just answer my name is Tom and i will be helping you today with your problem.

Check the thermal fuse it is on the left on the blower housing. It is white two inches long by a quarter inch wide. Remove the two wires and test it for continuity.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Tom, "continuity"...what exactly does that mean? Check with ohm meter? like we did yesterday with the element?

Yes use the ohms tester. When you touch the two leads together the needle will move that is what you want to happen when you test the thermal fuse.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I'm so sorry, but I am not at all an electrician, although I do have some equipment. Yesterday I had an electrician at work test the element, so now that I'm at home I need some help on knowing how to set the equipment up to use it for testing.

I'm using a Sears Autoranging Multimeter #82017. I know what the ohm symbol looks like (Omega), but this meter has multiple ports for the leads to plug in to. Which ones do I use?

There should be ports with the ohms sign beside them.
Did you get it working ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I think so. I checked the white ceramic thing, and the meter read 10ohms.

Since you are not sure how to use the meter what i want you to do is take the two wires from the thermal fuse and tape the ends together. make sure they are making a good connection and try to start the dryer.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The wires that go to it have "sleeves" over the wires that protect the wires from coming in contact with each other.

Can you see the picture below of what I'm looking at? Did you get the earlier picture of the meter I'm using?

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

That is not the part it is on the left side on the blower housing. This is what it looks like.

Different views available:
Read more: http://www.appliancepartspros.com/Appliance-Parts/whirlpool-dryer-thermal-fuse-item-number-ap3132867.aspx#ixzz1zwIH5KQa
http://www.appliancepartspros.com
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yep, I'm sorry. I found it. I checked it with the meter and nothing...no reading at all. Should I try to hotwire these wires and start the dryer?
If you touch the leads of the meter together do you get a reading ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes. But when I check this white thing it is completely dead.
Ok replace the thermal fuse and that will solve your problem.

If this has been helpful please click the smiley face. Thank you.

Register Here
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Tom, thank you for your patience. I know trying to help me is like getting a retard to understand statistics. Thank you!
You are welcome and you did fine.

Register Here
Thanks Tom for the assist. I wasn't on that early. I tried to get the gentleman to that point yesterday. thanks for helping finish that up this morning. It turned out to be exactly what I said in the beginning, Glad he got he figured out. have a great day.