Justin
Justin, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Owner of Shaffer's Appliance Service

I need to replace a Glass cooktop on a Kenmore I have the

Customer Question

I need to replace a Glass cooktop on a Kenmore I have the replacement cooktop but the old cooktop was installed with a silicon adhesive that I can't get to How do I remove the old cooktop...
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Justin replied 2 years ago.

Justin :

What is the model number of your appliance please

Justin :

Is this a cook top only? Mounted into your countertop?

Customer:

I'm looking for a model number,,,,Yes it is a cooktop only mounted on countertop I have the replacement part already I can probably get a number off of it if you need it.

Justin :

Ok, a lot of cooktops, if properly installed will have brackets under the counter which secure the appliance down. If you look under the counter top with a flash light, you may see these brackets. They need removed, otherwise the appliance will not lift out of the opening. Also, the model number tag is typically on the bottom of the cook top. You'll just need to open the cabinet doors, or remove the drawers (unsure of your set up)

Justin :

Most of the time, silicone is used around the perimeter so food soils and spills don't leak in, but if you've used a razor around it, it should lift off if the brackets are either not there, or are removed. Sometimes, it does take a good hard push from underneath to release the appliance too, especially if silicone was used.

Justin :
Customer:

The model number tag is in back and upside down I will have to empty the cabinet and maybe get a mirror if you need it I believe the backets are removed...The Sears guys who came to replace the top said they would not remove it unless I gave them a waiver on damaging my counter top - which is formica thats how i got in this situation I thought if I could somehow cut the silicone around the perimiter I could lift it out....But that doesn't seem to be a solution,,,I'm looking for a good idea...

Customer:

There are a bunch of numbers on the carton that the replacment top is in, if you think that will heplp

Justin :

If the brackets are removed, and you're sure of it, and you've gone around the entire perimeter with a blade, then the solution is you need to push really hard on the bottom of the cook top. It will break free. I know it's tough getting them out, I've been doing appliance repair for 15 years in homes.

Justin :

are we dealing with cabinet doors or drawers in the space under your cook top? If it is cabinet doors, the way I do it is clear the cabinet, lie on my back and push really hard like doing a bench press. I always get them out.

Customer:

Any problem if it breaks in pieces, other than the obvious danger of broken glass Its cabinet doors under

Justin :

You'll be pushing on the metal base, I've never had one break the glass due to me pushing on the bottom. If the glass does break, it is tempered. Maybe lay a blanket over the top to if you fear this might occur. Look around the entire perimeter underneath the unit with a flash light, ensure with 100% certainty that you have no brackets. Once you commit, push up with firm slow pressure

Justin :

Excuse me for a moment please.

Justin :

Ok, I'm back. How are you making out?

Justin :

One other tip, once you do free the appliance, have a few 2 x 4s cut to around 24 inches, so you can slide them under the cook top to provide support while you remove the screws to change out the cook top.

Customer:

Well, the push takes place on the metal bottom its self,,,don't have to restrict it to the perimeter? The cutout for the cooktop extends beyond the cabinet under it ...goes into the drawer space on one side and croner cabinet on other side

Justin :

I really have no other tips for you. If the brackets are out, you have one of two things holding this thing in, either the silicone or the cut out is really tight. In either case, I've always gotten them out, YES, you push on the metal bottom. The cook top is attached to this whole thing with screws, just have to push hard on the metal base of the appliance to lift the entire appliance out. That's the only way to do it.

Customer:

Ok I guess thats all the questions I have,,,wish me well...Thanks for your help

Justin :

Hey

Justin :

I will merely change this from live chat to Q and A. When you leave this chat, you still have full availability to me. Trust me, that entire appliance will push out. Don't be afraid, and I'm here if you have further questions.

Expert:  Justin replied 2 years ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Expert:  replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your business. I am here if you need more help, just come back to access your question, and I'll be right with you.
Justin, Appliance Technician
Experience: Owner of Shaffer's Appliance Service
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Emptied the cabinet under stove top,,,,tried pushing up as you suggested,,,seems the countertop was going to give first...it must be really cemented on...might have to break it off any good ideas...
Expert:  Justin replied 2 years ago.
No, I do not have any other suggestions. I'm sorry, but being on this end of the computer, and you on your end, I cannot see your particular situation. I've given all the advice I can. Some installations are crazy, believe me I've been in situations that I couldn't believe in the field. I certainly hope you don't have to break your counter to get it out. It might be the time you contact a professional at this point.