Justin
Justin, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Owner of Shaffer's Appliance Service
40730774

I messed up the computer by pouring water into the washing

Customer Question

I messed up the computer by pouring water into the washing machine(from a dehumidifier).
I did the factory default, but I still can't get it to go beyond a couple of seconds on the fill cycle. Any ideas?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Justin replied 2 years ago.

Justin :

So, you turn the machine on and it only starts to fill, then shuts off completely?

Justin :

I currently show you as offline. Please respond at your convenience so we can resolve this issue. Thanks.

Customer:

Right

Justin :
Justin :

Good morning

Justin :

would you mind providing me your model and serial number. If you open the lid and look toward the base of the lid on the frame of the opening, the tag is there.

Customer:

MVWB750WQ1

Customer:

I already checked the manual

Justin :

Please allow me one second to view the tech sheet.. Thank you

Justin :
Justin :

I may have you place this into diagnostics.. There is a procedure to do this. Are you comfortable with this?

Customer:

What does that mean?

Justin :

What we can do is place the machine into a mode which can help to tell us what's wrong. All you need to do is follow some steps.

Customer:

OK

Justin :

What you

Justin :

What you'll need to do is this

choose any button except power, with the machine in the off state but plugged in

Justin :

Press and hold three seconds

release three seconds

Justin :

press and hold three seconds

Customer:

I'll go try it

Justin :

Then, I'll need you to write down any codes that come up, if there are any, the machine should start a test cycle

If you don't get in to this mode, try again. Make sure you count three full seconds. SO, press, release, press, release, press. ANY button except for power and start

Justin :
Justin :

If you get any F codes, Please, I'll need that information.

Customer:

No codes came up. The sounds were a little different.

Justin :

Ok, you should have seen an 88 come up in the display, then it should start with C1, and progress thru to C8

Justin :

Also, the machine should have started a test cycle

Customer:

I'll try it again. Should the power be on or off?

Justin :

The unit should be plugged in, nothing lit up in display. Press three seconds, release three seconds, press three seconds release three seconds, press three seconds. All the LEDs should light and an 88 should come up. Sometimes it takes a few attempts.... They are stubborn.

Justin :

Try not to get frustrated, I'm here to help

Customer:

It's not working. When I hit the "Rinse button," and start the push/release times come up, power light goes on, put no codes come up.

Justin :

So you're only using the rinse button and not pushing start or anything right?

Justin :

And you're pressing and holding the same button three seconds then releasing it, then repeating this sequence another 1.5 times

Customer:

Just got F51!

Justin :

ahhh

Justin :

Now we're getting somewhere

Customer:

and it's beeping

Justin :

Ok, the F51 is an RPS sensor failure. The good news is that I believe there is a free repair for this

Justin :

The repair kit will be a new RPS sensor with wiring harness and a new control board. I've done a few of these, and the manufacturer honored the repair due to a service bulletin.

Customer:

I already called Sears for an appt tomorrow. Does that mean that they won't charge me a service call?

Justin :

Cancel the appt with sears, call Maytag, tell them you have this F51 and you have a Maytag authorized technician telling you that the F51 repair kit should be free.

Justin :

Hang tight, let me try to find that service flash. You have a moment or two?

Customer:

Yes, thanks

Customer:

Do you have the number for Maytag, or should I look for Maytag.com?

Justin :
Justin :

I'm trying to find that service flash now. The customer service number is XXXXX Not sure if labor is covered, but parts should be. Hang tight... be a few moments.

Justin :
Justin :

Ok, I cannot locate that bulletin right now. I have personally done this repair for customers though. If you call customer service, let them know that this is a known issue and there is a free repair to be done associated with it which includes the RPS sensor and harness kit, plus a new main control board. The RPS sensor is what monitors your motors movement. If it is not read correctly, the machine will not operate.

Customer:

Can you hold on? I'm going to call them

Justin :

Your phone call may take awhile. Is it ok if I save this as a Q and A instead of live chat from this point? Either way, you'll need those parts to correct your washing machine.

Justin :
Customer:

yes, ok

Justin :

You can still contact me, just won't be live chat.

Justin :

This was a known issue with these machines, you should not have a problem

Customer:

Can I wait until I hear from them before I do the rating?

Justin :

Sure, just remember I'm not the manufacturer. If they decide to not help you out, I have no control over that ok. You will need the RPS sensor with harness kit and main control. That will fix your problem!

Expert:  Justin replied 2 years ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks very much. There is no button to submit the rating
Expert:  Justin replied 2 years ago.
I'm glad I could help. Please follow up with me then. Here's the button for you :)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sorry, there's no button. Can I just say that the service was good?
Expert:  replied 2 years ago.
I appreciate the positive feedback yes. If you are satisfied, you can accept my answer. That way I'm compensated for our time together. I appreciate your time and I hope your experience at Just Answer was a pleasant one.
Justin, Appliance Technician
Experience: Owner of Shaffer's Appliance Service
Expert:  Justin replied 2 years ago.
Hi Ellen,

Justin with Just Answer. Just following up to see how things are with the washer? I was happy to assist you.

Justin
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Maytag referred me to A&E repairs--same as Sears. The guy took the machine apart. There was laundry stuck in the drum. Now it works fine.
Thanks for your help
Expert:  Justin replied 2 years ago.
Ok, that's good. That will also give you an F-51 error. That's a little off the beaten path though. Anytime the motor won't turn, you'll get that code. Just coincidental that you poured water into the machine. Glad you're working again.