Justin
Justin, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Owner of Shaffer's Appliance Service
40730774

I have one stove top burner that will stay hot. It used to stay on high and then get too c

I have one stove top burner that will stay hot. It used to stay on high and then get too cool to cook as the switch is turned to a lower setting. Now the heat backs off even with the switch on high.

gst85 :

good morning.do you have the full model number?

Customer:

FES367DSA

gst85 :

thanks.which burner is staying on?

Customer:

It is the right front. But actually problem is that it is not staying on.

gst85 :

ok so when you set it will not stay on?

Customer:

Right, If I leave the switch on high(8), the element starts to glow and get hot and then after 20- 30 secs. it starts to cut off. It cycles off and on.

Customer:

As I turn it to lower setting it will cycle but at such a low level, you could not cook. the switch seems to get very warm.

gst85 :

im pulling up a diagra, for this model.just a few minutes please.

gst85 :

it seems that you are just going to bad burner element.since you have aleady replaced the switch.

Customer:

That is what I thought, but I just replaced the element this week.

gst85 :

ok check one more thing,make sure that you have 230voltage to the unit by using a voltage meter.

gst85 :

also make sure that the connections are not crossed to the switch.

Customer:

I know that I have L1, L2, P are correct. Not sure if wires to element could be crossed. I think they call them H1, H2.

gst85 :

i am out of answers for ths model.i will option out so that another expert with more knowledge for this model can better assist you.

With any electric stove cooktop element, if you have lost control over the heat setting, the recourse is to replace the burner switch. Elements are either good or bad, not in between EVER. However, if nothing is on the cooktop as you're watching it, it will normally cycle on or off. The biggest clue here is that the switch is getting very warm. This is because it's arcing internally, hence a poor contact in the switch. This is your problem, guaranteed!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Your answer makes a lot of sense, however the switch was the first thing that I replaced. It seems to be worse now than when it was first installed a few months ago, but I was getting similar symptoms then.

Can you please tell me what part number you installed? The heating element itself only draws the current it needs to perform. As long as it is receiving 240 volts from the switch, the switch is the control center. What size burner is it? 8 or 6 inch? Please include the part number if you still have it. If the wrong switch was installed, it could answer this question.

Also, H1 and H2 do not matter as to which wire goes where. Both H1 and H2 are outputs of 120 Volts each from the switch. I looked your model up, and it appears the front right burner is an 8" burner. The part number that is listed as the correct replacement isNNN-NN-NNNN I looked at your wiring diagram as well, that is the only controller for the element. The only thing you can do on your end is pull the wires off the switch, give the terminal ends a light pinch to ensure they're tight on the male ends, then pop the cook top up and do the same thing to the wires on the element. Other than that, you'll need a new switch.
Justin, Appliance Technician
Experience: Owner of Shaffer's Appliance Service