Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience:  Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.
21107370

HOW DO YOU LOOSEN/REMOVE A CANISTER (INLINE) WHOLE HOUSE WATER

HOW DO YOU LOOSEN/REMOVE A CANISTER (INLINE) WHOLE HOUSE WATER FILTER THAT IS VERY STUBBORNLY "STUCK"?. TRIED TO REMOVE IT WITH 5 1/2" CHANNEL LOCKS AND IT WON'T BUDGE! IT IS LOCATED NEXT TO THE PRESSURE TANK AND I DON'T WANT TO BREAK/BEND THE COPPER WATER LINE. I FLIPPED THE SHUT-OFF VALVES ABOVE AND BELOW IT AND PRESSED THE PURGE (? ) VALVE TO ELIMINATE THE PRESSURE IN THE CONTAINED AREA. I HAVE ALWAYS HAD TROUBLE WITH THIS FILTER. IT IS A PLASTIC/VINYL CONTAINER AND IS SEALED WITH AN "O" RING AND VASELINE. IS THERE SOME "INSIDE" INFORMATION YOU COULD PROVIDE? PLEASE HELP!!!

IT IS A WELL AND SEPTIC WATER SYSTEM.

THANKS IN ADVANCE!

XXXXX XXXXXWARD
Hello and thank you for using this service.

Yes what you need to do is this. Put the filters back to "Filter" as they were. Then turn on any faucet in the house all the way. Shut the water supply off to the house. Give it a minute to bleed all the pressure off. Then turn the filter to "Off". Then you will be able to remove the filter. The purge buttons suck. Also put some vaseline or grease on the oring when putting it back together.

Please rate my assistance before leaving...that is all I ask thanks.