Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

i have a kenmore 110.92582110 washer. I have changed the lid

Customer Question

i have a kenmore 110.92582110 washer. I have changed the lid switch and timer (not sure at this point whether lid switch needed changing) Each stage now seems to work fine however, I have to manually move the time dial so that it will cycle thru the entire program. I have tried to make sure harnesses and wires are all tight. My wife's ready to call "the guy" and I want to try and fix it - any help would be appreciated.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.

Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today

okay is this stopping at rinse ? or spin ?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
it will fill, and agitate but not stop until i move the dial manually, then I can move it to drain, and move it to spin and move it to rinse and drain again and spin again and they all work. Just that I have to move it each time manually
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
okay so the timer never moves on its own at all ? the dial never even moves on tick by itself ? where did you get the timer ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
1st source servall. I had called them right away (I am a small contractor) and they said it was possible that it was bad but unlikely. He thought maybe a loose wire.
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.

well actually if the machine fills and agitates then the timer is the issue, you see the timer motor gets its power the same way the fill valve and the washer motor and basically all the functions. so if the timer is getting power for those the timer motor also gets it power the same way. the timer motor is wired to the timer itself . I believe the timer is the issue for sure. i would have them send you a new timer or get a refund and order it somewhere else. if the timers getting power the timer motor is also getting power. I hope this helps, thanks Bryan

Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
just needed to know after i change it if it doesn't work do i still have access to the site for this issue?
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
Yes you can come back and I will help you anytime for no additional charge. do you have a volt meter ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
okay perfect.on the timer on the back side there are two wires going to the timer motor. can you check for 120 volts going to those two wires? just put the machine on and put one lead on each wire connector. do you get 120 volts ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
just on the timer not the whole harness. The wires are going to the round part of the back of the timer?
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
yes the two white and black leads from the motor on the timer.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here
see if you can get to them and get a reading.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Bryan,

Just went to my truck and realized I left my electrical bag at the job. I will grab it tomorrow. What should I expect either way on the reading so that I can run by the part store after and get a replacement. Especially if I can't reach you
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
the timer motor should be getting 120 volts between the two wires. also test them one at a time to a ground . see if you get 120 from one of them. i wondering if its a neutral problem.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
should i remove the wire from the post?
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
you don't really have to if you can contact the connector.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok - i will do that tomorrow when i get back from the job. Are you on the site at all tomorrow?
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
yes I will be here tomorrow

Register Here
have a great night !
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks Bryan - you too.
I'll catch you tomorrow
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
okay let me know when you have them checked out,thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Bryan,
Some things came up and I wasn't able to get back to you. I have tested the wire terminals on the back of the timer. I have used the ground screw on the panel underneath to check and get no reading from either wire. Frustrated -
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Bryan,

Sorry, I just double checked your message and also realized that the screw might not be a good contact. So...

I rechecked and put both leads on the 2 wires on the back of the timer and got a good 120 + reading. I then tried the one terminal that was to the left (more in front) and then to the ground and got a good read. Then, the wire that was more in back and the ground and didn't get a good reading (not voltage amount).

Let me know - thanks,
Tom
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
okay well one of those wires wont have power its the ground. were you able to get a reading of 120 between the two?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes, off the one on the left = it was about 124 while the water was pumping in. It read the same when I ran between the two wires and also the wire on the left and the ground lead on the back of the panel/
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
its sounds like the timer is bad then, those wires go right to the timer motor so its either the timer motor thats bad on it or the gear on the timer motor is stripped.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Bryan - that was it - what a pain. Appreciate your help and will for sure check with you the next time I have an appliance issue. I have rated you the top rating.

Thanks again,
Tom
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
your welcome Tom.have a great weekend, thanks Bryan