Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

I OWN A MAYTAG FRENCH DOOR BOTTOM FREEZER. I RESENTALY MOVED

Customer Question

I OWN A MAYTAG FRENCH DOOR BOTTOM FREEZER. I RESENTALY MOVED IT TO CLEAN UNDER THE UNIT,AND WHEN I DID EVERYTHING IN THE FRIG IS NOW FREEZING. I TALKED TO REPAIR MEN IN MY AREA AND SO FAR I HAVE REPLACED THE DEFROST THERMISTOR DID NOT FIX PROBLEM REPLACED FREEZER THERMOSTAT DID NOT FIX PROBLEM. THE DEFROST COIL OHMS OUT IT IS OK.ON LINE THIS MORNING I SEEN ANOTHER THERMOSTAT IN THE FRIG COMPARTMENT AND THEY KEEP TALKING ABOUT A COLD CONTROL I DO NOT SEE THESE TWO ITEMS ON MY SCHMATIC. ALONG WITH EVERYTHING IN FRIG FREEZING EVAPORATOR COIL IS FREEZING OVER AND COMPRESSOR IS ALWAYS RUNNING. IF THESE TWO ITEMS ARE BAD COULD YOU TELL ME WHERE THEY ARE LOCATED.ASKING NOW BECAUSE THEY SAY THE NEXT THING IS TO CHANGE THE MOTHER BOARD. MODAL #MFI2269VEM1 SERIAL # XXXXX THANK YOU RAY
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today

Good morning, Give me a few minutes to look up the diagrams. i will be back shortly, thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
GOOD MORNING BRYAN I CAN GIVE YOU ANY INFORMATION YOU NEED SO YOU CAN FIGTURE THIS OUT BEFORE I SPEND A LOT OF MONEY GUESING
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
okay, we seem to be having a site problem. I replied but it came back. this is the thermistor has it been replaced?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

YES THIS IS THE RMISTOR I CHANGED IN THE FREEZER CAN NOT FIND ONE IN FRIG

Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
okay, I see that one the parts list but don't see it on the diagrams either. I'm going to pull up the service sheets on this. it may take me a few minutes so hang in there.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
OK I PULLED OFF PANAL IN FRIG AND ALL I SEE IN THERE IS TUBES FOR MY COLD WATER
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.

did they put the in service diagnostic mode yet ?

The service test functions are performed using the refrigerator display and keypad. Enter the Service

Test Mode by performing the following sequence of events:

1. Press and hold the Door Alarm Keypad .

2. Press and hold Refrigerator Temperature Up Keypad . +

3. Release the Door Alarm Keypad and wait 3 seconds.

4. The Freezer display will display SE confirming entry in the Service Mode.

5. Press the Refrigerator Up + Keypad again to confirm entry in the Service Mode.+

6. Display will show 101 in left display and numeric or dashes in right display.

7. Press Freezer Up Keypad and Freezer Down - Keypad to toggle through

Service Test numbers.

8. To exit service test mode, open and close refrigerator door or hold door alarm for 3 seconds.

can you try that ?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

BRYAN DID GO THROUGH THESE BEFORE BUT JUST WENT THROUGH AGAIN NOT SURE OF SOME READINGS. (101) DEFROST OFF.

9131 MULLION HEATER OFF. 141 FRESH FOOD THERMISTOR 41 .144 AMBIENT THERMISTOR 82. 167 CAVITY HEATER AS NONE.201 MULLION HEATER OVERRIDE OFF.202 DEFAULT DEFROST OPERATION OFF.221 RESET DEFAULT SETTINGS SHOWED --- PUSHED RESET

Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.

sorry I had my internet go out.

control board Troubleshooting

Programming Mode:

NOTE: The Program Code is located on the Serial Plate on this unit after the word Code.

1. Press and hold the Door Alarm Keypad.

2. Press and hold Freezer Temperature DOWN /- Keypad within 3 seconds.

4. The control will display

PE to indicate the programming mode.

5. Entry is confirmed by pressing the Freezer Temperature DOWN /- Keypad once more.

6. The control will display the current Program CODE. This value should be validated with the program CODE printed on the unit serial plate.

NOTE:

If the Program CODE is correct, the Programming Mode is exited by pressing Door Alarm Keypad for 3 seconds.

7. Press the Refrigerator Temperature UP /+ Keypad or Refrigerator Temperature DOWN /- Keypad to change the digit value with each key press.

8. The decimal point indicates the selected digit. Press the Freezer Temperature UP /+ Keypad to select the next digit.

9. Once the desired Program CODE is entered, press and hold the Freezer Temperature DOWN /- Keypad until the Program CODE begins flashing

indicating it has been saved.

NOTE:

If you attempt to enter an invalid Program CODE the control will not save the new code, but will beep. (The unit will NOT run with a Program

CODE of 0000).Once the Program CODE has been saved the Programming Mode is exited by pressing any key. If the new code is incorrect this

process should be repeated.

The Programming mode can be exited at any time by pressing Door Alarm key for 3 seconds or will exit if unattended for four minutes.

Defrost Operation:

The Control Board adapts the compressor run time between defrosts to achieve optimum defrost intervals by monitoring the length of time the defrost

heater is on. After initial power up, defrost interval is 4 hours compressor run time. Defrost occurs immediately after the 4 hours.

Forced Defrost Mode:

The forced defrost function is performed using the Freezer display and Refrigerator keypad. Enter the Forced Defrost Mode by performing the

following sequence of events:

2. Press and hold Refrigerator Temperature DOWN /- Keypad.

Fd appears in Freezer display.

4. Press the Refrigerator Temperature DOWN /- Keypad again.

Sh appears in right display.

5. Press again to force defrost

Fd and Sh will flash in display indicating unit is in defrost.

Service Test Mode:

The service test functions are performed using the refrigerator display and keypad. Enter the Service Test Mode by performing the following sequence

of events:

2. Press and hold Refrigerator Temperature UP / + Keypad.

4. The Freezer display will display

SE confirming entry in the Service Mode.

5. Press the Refrigerator Temperature UP /+ Keypad again to confirm entry in the Service Mode.

7. Press Freezer Refrigerator Temperature UP / + Keypad and Freezer DOWN /- Keypad to toggle through Service Test numbers.

Service Test - 101 Defrost Heater & Defrost Circuit

• Press the Refrigerator Temperature UP /+ keypad and Refrigerator DOWN /- keypad to energize or de-energize the Defrost circuit. The

display will read OFF when de-energized, OP when energized with open defrost thermostat and CL when energized with closed defrost thermostat.

Service Test - 102 Compressor / Condenser Fan

• Press the Refrigerator Temperature UP /+ keypad and Refrigerator DOWN /- keypad to toggle Compressor/Condenser fan On and Off.

Service Test - 112 Freezer Fan

• Press the Refrigerator Temperature UP /+ keypad and Refrigerator DOWN /- keypad to toggle Freezer Fan On High speed, Low speed and Off.

NOTE:

Display will show state 0.0 for OFF, 11.0-14.0 volts for High speed or 7.75- 8.25 volts for Low speed.

Service Test - 113 Ice Compartment Fan

• Press the Refrigerator Temperature UP /+ keypad and Refrigerator DOWN /- keypad to toggle Ice compartment Fan On High speed, Low

speed and Off.

NOTE:

Service Test - 121 Damper Operation

• Press the Refrigerator Temperature UP/+ keypad and DOWN /- keypad to toggle Damper

OP open and CL closed.

NOTE:

If damper is opening or closing it will not allow you to toggle damper and beep. Display will show state -CL or -OP if Damper is in the

process of closing or opening.

Service Test - 131 Mullion Heater

• Press the Refrigerator Temperature UP/+ keypad and DOWN /- Keypad to toggle Mullion Heater Off and On.

Service Test - 141 Fresh Food Thermistor

• Will Show Fresh Food Temperature or

OP for open thermistor or SH for shorted thermistor.

Service Test - 142 Freezer Thermistor

• Will Show Freezer Temperature or

Service Test - 144 Ambient Thermistor

• Will Show AmbientTemperature or,

OP open thermistor or SH shorted thermistor.

Service Test - 145 Ice Box Thermistor

• Will Show Ice BoxTemperature or,

Service Test - 151 Fresh Food Door State

• Will show state of Fresh Food Door.

OP (open) CL (closed).

NOTE:

By pushing either Fresh Food Door switches you can toggle state from OP (open) to CL (closed).

Service Test - 152 Freezer Food Door State

• Will show state of Freezer Door.

OP (open) CL (closed).

NOTE:

By pushing Freezer Door Switch you can toggle state from OP (open) to CL (closed).

Service Test - 153 Disable Internal Lights

• Press the Refrigerator Temperature UP/+ keypad and DOWN /- keypad to toggle Enable

En and Disable dIS internal lights.

Service Test - 163 Water Dispenser

• Display shows the state of the Water Dispenser Valve (On or OFF).

NOTE:

By pushing Actuator pad or Front Fill you can control state of Water Dispenser Valve.

Service Test - 164 External Ice Chute Door

• Display shows the state of the External Ice Chute Door

CL (closed) or OP (open).

NOTE:

By pushing Actuator pad you can control state of External Ice Chute Door.

Service Test - 165 Dispenser Lamp

• Display shows the state of the Dispenser Lamp (On or OFF).

NOTE:

By pushing Actuator pad or Front Fill you can control state of dispenser lamp.

Service Test - 167 Cavity Heater Test (On some models)

• Toggles the state of the Cavity Heater On or OFF.

NOTE:

Pushing Refrigerator Temperature UP/+ keypad and DOWN /- keypad toggles the cavity heaters state to On or OFF

Service Test - 168 Cube Dispenser and Internal Ice Chute Door Operation

• Display shows the state of the ice auger motor and the internal ice chute door. (On or OFF)

NOTE:

By pushing actuator pad you can control state of the Ice auger motor and the internal ice chute door.

Service Test - 171 Actuator Pad

• Display shows the state of the Actuator Pad (On or OFF).

Service Test - 172 Front Fill (On some models)

• Display shows the state of the Front Fill (On or OFF).

Service Test - 173 Ambient Light

• Display shows light sensor measurement (Hi or Lo). Night light will turn on when light sensor measures Lo.

By changing the sensor's exposure to ambient light you can control the sensor measurement.

Service Test - 175 Dispenser Line

• Display shows the state of the Dispenser Line (On or OFF).

NOTE:

By pushing Actuator pad or Front Fill you can change state of Dispenser Line.

Service Test - 182 LED Indicator Operation

• Press the Refrigerator Temperature UP/+ keypad and DOWN /- Keypad to show operation of LED Indicators. All LED Indicators will flash.

Press again and LED will stop flashing.

Service Test - 183 Keypad Operation

• Display shows a numeric or letter display indicating the last key pressed.

NOTE:

Refrigerator Temperature UP/DOWN keypads have no effect when pressed and Freezer Temperature UP/DOWN keypads remain operational.

Service Test - 192 Ice Maker State Test

• Display shows

dr if left fresh food door switch is in the door open position.

• Display shows

OFF if ice maker power switch is in the off position and door closed.

• Display shows

On if the ice maker power switch is in the on position and the door closed and heater is off.

• Display shows

OnH if icemaker power switch is in the on position and harvest heater is on and door closed.

Service Test - 193 Ice Maker Relay

• Press the Refrigerator Temperature UP/ + Keypad or Refrigerator DOWN /- Keypad to toggle the ice maker relay On and OFF.

NOTE:

Service tests 201-213 modifies factory settings to suit customers needs.

Service Test - 201 Mullion Heater Override

• Press the Refrigerator Temperature UP /+ Keypad or Refrigerator DOWN /- Keypad to change Mullion Heater from cycling on with

compressor (OFF position) to 100% operation (On Position).

NOTE:

If present, the Humidity Control Button toggles between the selected Mullion Heater Function and 0% operation.

Service Test - 202 Default Defrost Operation

• Press the Refrigerator Temperature UP /+ Keypad or Refrigerator DOWN /- Keypad to change Defrost Operation from normal adaptive defrost

(Off position) to minimum time between defrosts (On position).

Service Test - 203 Show Temperature Set points

• Press the Refrigerator Temperature UP /+ Keypad or Refrigerator DOWN /- Keypad to change from showing actual temperature (Off position)

to show temperature set points only (On position).

Service Test - 211 Fresh Food Temperature Adjustment

• Press the Refrigerator Temperature UP /+ Keypad or Refrigerator DOWN /- Keypad to change calibration of Fresh Food Temperature plus or

minus in 1°F increments up to 6°F.

NOTE:

Temperature will read in Fahrenheit regardless of what current temperature scale is being used.

Service Test - 212 Freezer Temperature Adjustment

• Press the Refrigerator Temperature UP /+ Keypad or Refrigerator DOWN /- Keypad to change calibration of Freezer Temperature plus or

minus 1°F in increments up to 6°F.

NOTE:

Service Test - 213 Ice Compartment Temperature Adjustment

• Press the Refrigerator Temperature UP /+ Keypad or Refrigerator DOWN /- Keypad to change calibration of Ice Compartment Temperature

plus or minus 1°F in increments up to + 0 / + 8°F.

NOTE:

Service Test - 221 Reset Default Settings

• Press the Refrigerator Temperature UP /+ Keypad or Refrigerator DOWN /- Keypad to reset to factory default settings (dEF).

Service Test - 231 Water Filter Usage

• Display shows the percent water filter consumption since water filter was reset. 100% indicates the filter should be replaced.

Service Test - 232 Water Filter Days In Use

• Display shows the number of days since the water filter was reset.

Service Test - 241 Software Revision Main Control Board

• Display shows the Software revision of the Main Control Board.

Service Test - 244 Software Revision Display Board

• Display shows the Software revision of the Display Board.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
BRYAN THE LAST REPLY I SENT I DIDN'T REALLY KNOW IF SONE OF THESE THINGS SHOULD BE TURNED ON OR IF IT WAS TELLING ME THE POSITION IT WAS IN.PROGRAM CODE IS 1720 UNIT READS PE 1.720
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
I'm sorry I was just sending some of the tests you can perform to see if theres any faults.its really technical though sorry. these electronic refrigerators are a pain to figure out and even in the tech sheets I cant find the thermistor in the fresh food section , thats strange. I'm still going over tech sheets though. be back in a few minutes, it sounds like you have the correct code in it though.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
OK NEED ANY OTHER INFO LET ME KNOW
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
okay. the thermistor is behind this . find that and thats where the thermistor is, its a plastic cover. let me know if you find it. thanks Bryan
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
its either going to be the thermistor or the damper control. this is what opens and closes to let cold air into the fresh food section.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
BRYAN EVEN THOUGH THE SERVICE SPECS SAID IT WAS OPENING AND CLOSEING COULD IT STILL BE BAD? SHOULD I BE ABLE TO HEAR IT OPEN AND CLOSE?
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
okay the damper tested good it has to be the thermistor, the thermistor is what tells the damper to open and close. were you able to find the thermistor cover?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
BRYAN THE COVER LIKE THIS IS IN THE FREEZER AND I CHANGED THE THERMISTOR THERE. I CAN NOT FIND A COVER LIKE THIS IN THE FRIG. THE ONLY COVER IN THERE IS THE ONE COVERING THE WATER TUBES AND THE WATER FILTER.
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
okay so thats the only thermistor then. thats why we don't see one inside the refrigerator section. if the damper tests good and the thermistor has been changed the only thing it could be is the control board itself. if the cold control which is part of the electronic keypad didn't show a fault the main control board is causing the issue. I don't know how or why it failed but its not sensing the temps correctly. I'm out of ideas on this one. even the tech sheets don't give us enough info. I would replace it. heres a link to order it. http://www.searspartsdirect.com/partsdirect/part-number/W10310240/0046/106 theres nothing else I can see. its not uncommon for these boards to fail.
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
BRYAN THANKS FOR THE ANSWER AT LEAST I FILL BETTER WITH ANOTHER OPNIONBUT LET ME ASK ONE MORE QUESTION JUST TO MAKE SURE.SINSE THIS PROBLEM STARTED I HAVE NOT HOOKED THE WATER BACK UP TO THE FRIG I LOOKED AT THE DRAWINGS ON LINE AND SEEN THE DAMPER CONTROL IN SIDE THE ICE MAKER DO YOU THINK ITS SENSEING AIR TEMP AND DAMPER STAYING OPEN TO LONG WHICH I HAVE BEEN TOLD IT DOESN'T MATTER IF THE WATERS HOOKED UP OR NOT WHATS YOUR OPNION IF YOU AGREE THEN I'LL REPLACE THE CONTROL BOARD THANKS FOR YOUR TIME RAY
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
I'm sorry we are having wicked thunderstorms here in Orlando and my internet keep going off. The water would have nothing to do with the damper opening and closing, the damper is for the whole fresh food section and they just have it at the back of the ice maker to help freeze the ice faster. I cant think of anything else that can cause this issue that we haven't gone over except the Board. thanks and have a great 4th.! Bryan