SubZero_Wolf Expert
SubZero_Wolf Expert, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Licensed Appliance Journeyman
46655473

GE Artica will not cool.

GE Artica will not cool.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  SubZero_Wolf Expert replied 2 years ago.

SubZero_Wolf Expert :

Hello, I can help you with this. Do you hear any sounds from the back? Do you have the model number? Thanks

Customer:

Sounds like the fan is running. Compressor is not. The inside temp incdicator for the freezer shows 0 but everything is melting...above 32. Refrig side shows 54. pss26mgtd

SubZero_Wolf Expert :

sorry for the delay, have you polled the unit to feel the compressor if it's hot? Do you have a meter to test voltage?

SubZero_Wolf Expert :

pulled

Customer:

OK I will check the compressor. Yes, I have

a meter.

SubZero_Wolf Expert :

Sounds like you may have a bad temp sensor in the freezer or a locked compressor, let me know if you have 120v at the compressor or not. You can also ohm out the sensors.

SubZero_Wolf Expert :

Sensor is 233 on the diagram here

Customer:

compresson warmm but not HOT

Customer:

Will try to check compressor volt

SubZero_Wolf Expert :

If 120 at compressor, please check if you see frost on the back wall of the freezer.

Customer:

appears to be 120 v at compressor.

yes, frost in back of freezer

Customer:

not able to locate sensors

SubZero_Wolf Expert :

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX a failed defrost heater, if you remove that rear panel you can hair dry/melt all the frost and the unit will return to normal (unplug first). However the problem will return in a few days unless you replace the heater itself (looks like an oven heater will be embedded in the frost)

SubZero_Wolf Expert :

I'll look up the part number fro you.

SubZero_Wolf Expert :

HERE for the heater.

Customer:

not certain what you mean by the rear panel. The cardboard? Nothing I can see is cold

SubZero_Wolf Expert :

Sorry, the back panel inside the freezer where the frost is.

Customer:

4 screws out but not able to get the panel out What's the trick?

SubZero_Wolf Expert :

No trick, i bet the frost has frozen the metal panel to the coils behind it, turn off the unit (if not already) to stop more freezing there, heat the panel with a hair drier and it should pry off with only a little effort.

Customer:

ok, working with the hairdryer

SubZero_Wolf Expert :

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX know how it goes. This is a very common failure and should be pretty straightforward.

Customer:

if I get the refrig working, can we operate it temporarily with the back panel off?

SubZero_Wolf Expert :

Not really, the panel is required to direct the air flow correctly.

Customer:

I do not see the heater. Is it visable from the inside of the freezer?

SubZero_Wolf Expert :

did you remove the panel?

Customer:

Panel is out. I believe I see the heater at the bottom of the coil. Frost removed. Compresser appears to have started up and freeser fan is blowing. Maybe getting cool. It looks like the sliding sides must be removed in order for the back panel to be easily removed and reinstalled.

Customer:
Customer:

That is sliding drawer sides.

SubZero_Wolf Expert :

Sorry the heater looks like the above link to the part, sounds like you found it. Some wider models don't need the rails removed. Was there much frost near the heater?

Customer:

yes there was

Customer:

should I be able to install a new heater by myself easily??

SubZero_Wolf Expert :

Yes its only a few more steps than what you have already done. The part comes with the bracket also.

Customer:

OK Thanks. We'll try to purchase locally on Thursday rather than wait for UPS

Customer:
Experience: Licensed Appliance Journeyman