SubZero_Wolf Expert
SubZero_Wolf Expert, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Licensed Appliance Journeyman
46655473

had a lower element burn out in my GE Profile JBP48 Oven. I

had a lower element burn out in my GE Profile JBP48 Oven. I removed the lower element to find a replacement part, but now there are 3 wires (2 black and 1 yellow) awaiting reconnection and I only remember disconnecting 2 wires (and there are only 2 connections on the element). How are the wires reconnected? Do the 2 black ones go on the same element mount or is it a black one and the yellow one on the same mount? Does it matter which element mount the wires are connected ie black on the right yellow on the left?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  SubZero_Wolf Expert replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I can help you with this. Sorry we have had some chat issues so I had to switch to Q&A. The two black wires go together on one terminal and the yellow on the other. It does not matter which wire goes on which side. One of the black connectors should have a extra spade on it for the other wire. It may have broken off though. Let me know how I can help further. Thanks, Sam
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for the prompt reply. I connected the 2 black wires one terminal and the yellow on the other. Now there is some sparking on the terminal were the yellow is connected and the element feels warm. the oven is off.
Sorry for the delay I am really having trouble with my internet here. Do you have a voltmeter? What was the cause for the element failure?
This is what a JBP90 looks like viewed from the rear:

Top Element (Broil) has 2 wires - 1 BLACK on left, 1 RED on right
Center Element(Convection) has 3 wires - 2 BLACK on left, 1 BLUE on right
Bottom Element (Bake) has 3 wires - 2 BLACK on left, 1 Yellow on right

This is the correct wiring so I am concerned that you may have another issue perhaps the root cause of needing an element.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
If you mean left and right when facing the oven then that's how I wired it. Does it matter how the black wires are positioned together?
So long as the wires are together it doesn't matter. Also left vs right doesn't matter. It sounds like you have another electrical issue. Do you have a volt meter to measure the actual voltage at the wires?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i don't have a meter, should I purchase one? what is cost? I am near a home depot.
They cost about 20-30$ and will allow you to know if the correct voltages are coming out of the correct wires. You would be working with live 240v electricity so extreme caution would be in order when using one.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I think it's time to make a service call before I burn the house down or electrocute myselfSmile
Thank for your time and advice.
Glad to be of help, some easy things arn't so easy when they don't go as planned, I think it sounds like you did everything right, there is another underlying cause. Let me know if you end up needing any further assistance. This question will stay open even after you rate/accept. Thanks and have a great 4th! Sam
Experience: Licensed Appliance Journeyman