SubZero_Wolf Expert
SubZero_Wolf Expert, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Licensed Appliance Journeyman
46655473

Have a Wolf 36" oven and it wont heat up on bake,convection

Have a Wolf 36" oven and it won't heat up on bake,convection or broil to over 200 degrees. It also takes an hour or more to heat to that temp. Do you think the element is shot, or the thermostat. How can I check it?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  SubZero_Wolf Expert replied 2 years ago.

SubZero_Wolf Expert :

Hello, I can help you with this. Is this a gas or electric? Do you know the model number? We can figure this out very easily with a few questions. Let me know, Thanks, Sam

Customer:

The oven is electric. There is no model number on the oven. Bought the house with it already installed.

Customer:

The oven is electric. There is no model number on the unit. Nothing on the inside of the oven.

SubZero_Wolf Expert :

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX have a failed bake element or a stuck bake relay. have you tried convection (not convection bake)?

Customer:

Same thing on convection!

SubZero_Wolf Expert :

The convection uses a different element than the bake so that eleminates the bake element. Does the broil element get red hot on broil setting? Should take less than 5min to get red.

SubZero_Wolf Expert :

Does this unit have a flip down clock or numbers that light up in the thermostat knob?

Customer:

I turned on the oven last night on bake & held the element with my hand & was not getting very hot. I was holding on to it for about 5 min. without getting hot.

SubZero_Wolf Expert :

same with broil?

Customer:

Yes it does have a flip down face with clock

Customer:

Same with broil

SubZero_Wolf Expert :

I know that model. You need a controller board or relay board. There was an upgrade on the controller board a few years back do to simmilar issues, so I would guess that. The only way to test between the two parts woud be to remove the bulnose and use a meter.

SubZero_Wolf Expert :

As you can see from this model the bullnose is kinda a pain to remove.

SubZero_Wolf Expert :

These have a five year parts on the boards regarless of owner. But you would need to know how old it was and find the serial number.

Customer:

This would be something that I would have to get a qualified tech to replace I would imagine

Customer:

What do I do if I can't find the serial number?

SubZero_Wolf Expert :

Unless you are unusally handy. It takes me about and hour and these machines are all I work on.

Customer:

I can do this but knowing how to dismantle it might be a challange.

Customer:

Sam would you know the model number on this unit so I can order parts?

SubZero_Wolf Expert :

I'll get on the website right now and figure it out, I can give you instructions on how to dismantle as well.

SubZero_Wolf Expert :

It is a DF36xx were xx is the number of burners or if it has a grill or griddle. None of that would affect the boards so the xx doesn't matter.

SubZero_Wolf Expert :

The bullnose is removed by taking off all the knobs. Open the door and remove the for screws (2 each side) holding the bottom part of bullnose. They also hold the side trim up. Then you can lift the bullnose up and rotate the bottom out. Once you do that you will need another pair of hands to hold the bullnose so the wires don't pull out. Putting it back is the hard part.

Customer:

There are no knobs this is a wall oven. I'm thinking the model is a W 136??

SubZero_Wolf Expert :

Oh, sorry, I read Range in your complaint and that means floor standing. Let me look up that model. The diagnosis info is still valid as wolf wires all electrics the same.

SubZero_Wolf Expert :

Of course getting to the boads is a little different, you must pull the unit from the wall 12" and get to the screws on top, then you can remove a quarter top panel and see both boards.

SubZero_Wolf Expert :

SO36xx where x is color of panels. May be a S036xx-2 or -3 depending on age. There is no tag directly under the display panel?

Customer:

From what I can gather it was the first units that Wolf brought out around 2006. I will have to look under display panel for a label. Not at the house right now. So I can pull out the unit & go in from the top to service the boards?

Customer:

Do you have a good recommendation for parts on line? I will buy both & send back the one that I don't need.

SubZero_Wolf Expert :

Correct, this units are top servicable. The hardest thing will be pulling the unit, depending on your install. You will want to verify the revision before order boards as they have changed. If you cannot find the tag you could call wolf and give them the address and they should have the unit on record.

Customer:

Sam do you recommend any online parts sites for this?

SubZero_Wolf Expert :

Not really, when sub z find people reselling parts, they shut them down.

Sorry I had to end the chat window, there was a technical diffuculy and I wasn't able to see your last post. we can continue in Q&A as long as you need. Sadly wolf is very tight with their parts, i would recommend looking on their website for the authorized company in your area (search by zip) and you can buy the parts from them.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No problem I have a source here.

Thanks for your help

Glad to help!
Experience: Licensed Appliance Journeyman