Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

I own a Whirlpool Electric Dryer LEW0050PQ. The drum is not

I own a Whirlpool Electric Dryer LEW0050PQ. The drum is not spinning. The motor and belt look fine. In fact, when I manually give it a little spin, it spins on its own for several revolutions however it will not sustain the momementum. The belt seem tight enough but the drum seems a little tight and takes some effort for me to spin it. I cleaned the lint screen and manually check for something that might be stuck but could not fina anythihng. Do you have any recommendations.

Thanks, Cary

Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today

Good evening, So your saying if you open the door and hold the door switch in and press start and spin the tub it will start ?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The dryer starts no problem and heat up. I pulled the back off and noticed the belt is good and the motor is spinning. I was actually spinning the drum from the back and noticed with a little momentum the drum would spin.

okay so the motor starts and it heats but the drum doesn't turn ? is that correct ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
correct , ,

The dryer starts no problem and heat up.  I pulled the back off and noticed the belt is good and the motor is spinning.  I was actually spinning the drum from the back and noticed with a little momentum the drum would spin for a few minutes.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
,not sure if i got a response. the system gave me an error. can you please resend your response

okay looking at this I know what the issue is, first though are you sure the drive motor is running? the one for the drum ?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes the drive motor is running
is it reversing directions ? this motor reverses directions is it doing that?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Not sure. The drum is currently rotating clockwise. The drum and motor only moves when I give the drum a little push from the back. The drum will only spin a few times and then stops.
okay the reason its stopping (and not starting for that matter) is the motor is bad, when it stops that the point when its supposed to change directions but its not, I seen this problem and what happens is the motor capacitor burns up and the motor doesn't run . (unless you spin it) you can see the capacitor on the left side in this picture.unfortunately they don't sell the capacitor separately it only comes with the motor.

Drum drive motor, reversing, includes bracket and capacitor

Manufacturer Number(NNN) NNN-NNNN you can order the motor @ http://www.searspartsdirect.com/partsdirect/part-number/8182471/0026/110 it needs to be replaced. sorry for the bad news. please take a look at the motor and you will see. thanks, Bryan

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Bryan, how difficult is it to replace the motor? If it can be done by a homeowner (myself) can you please provide instuructions to complete the task.
its been quite a while since I torn one of these apart.you don't see these everyday. I can give you the diagrams though. I believe on this one you take the right side off to get to the motor, ;like I said its been a few years for me on this one. here a link to all the diagrams. http://www.searspartsdirect.com/partsdirect/part-model/WHIRLPOOL-Parts/Dryer-Parts/Model-LEW0050PQ0/1198/0151200 this can be a difficult job.