SubZero_Wolf Expert
SubZero_Wolf Expert, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Licensed Appliance Journeyman
46655473

my ge frig wont dispence ice i replaced panel on front and

my ge frig wont dispence ice i replaced panel on front and still dont work the lights just dim when attemp what is the problem
Category: Appliance
Expert:  SubZero_Wolf Expert replied 2 years ago.

SubZero_Wolf Expert :

Hello, I can help you with this. sound like you have stuck auger motor. Do you have the model numbers so we can test.

Customer:

hsm25gfresa

SubZero_Wolf Expert :

thanks, XXXXX XXXXX up the drawing right now, so I know which one we are looking at.

SubZero_Wolf Expert :

If you remove the ice bucket you should see two metal arms sticking out. See that?

SubZero_Wolf Expert :

Can you rotate those arms with your hand?

Customer:

yes i can

SubZero_Wolf Expert :

If you have some tape you can tape down the door light switch and the switch that is pressed when the ice bucket is in place. then you can attempt to dispense ice with the door open and bucket out so you can see if those arms move. they are what is supposed to turn to eject the ice. You can also inspect the inside of the buck and make sure it's not broken. Let me know what you find.

Customer:

i taped it up and the motor does not turn

SubZero_Wolf Expert :

Did the lights still dim?

Customer:

yes the light still dims

SubZero_Wolf Expert :

You are going to need that motor back there. Called the auger motor. Are you handy enough that your going to repair it yourself?

Customer:

yes i can change it myself

SubZero_Wolf Expert :

Ill look up the Part number right now.

Customer:

but now the water doesnt work will the motor casuswe that too

SubZero_Wolf Expert :

HERE for the motor.

SubZero_Wolf Expert :

no, shouldn't affect it. if you put the bucket back in and close door does water come out?

Customer:

let me but bucket back

SubZero_Wolf Expert :

k

Customer:

bucket back in and water still wont work

Customer:

light just dims

Customer:

i am think short somewhere but where

SubZero_Wolf Expert :

If you were short you would have blown a fuse or board. Light dim means a motor or component that is pulling to much of a load. That tells me motor gets voltage.

Customer:

this has been part of prom all along i know if i play with the switch enough the water will start to work but has hesitation

SubZero_Wolf Expert :

Did you replace the switch with the dispenser?

Customer:

i replace front panel switch

SubZero_Wolf Expert :

Still sounds like you need the motor.

Customer:

could be i will try it so that means the power for all goes through it

Customer:

thanks s goodbye

SubZero_Wolf Expert :

Glad to help. Have a great day.

Experience: Licensed Appliance Journeyman