Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

Have Whirlpool Refrigerator side by side doors. Model # XXXXX

Have Whirlpool Refrigerator side by side doors. Model # XXXXX Strip between Freezer/Fridge getting really hot. Checked Condensor fan and cleaned coils. But, still warm.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today

how long has it been since you cleaned the coils?how many hours? can you open the freezer and check the back wall to see if theres any frost on the panel ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Just Cleaned Coils today. First time since buying refrigerator 5 yrs ago. Noticed strip between doors was hot on front of refrigerator after vacation ~10 days ago. There is NO Frost at back panel of freezer.
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
okay . with the coils clean and the condenser fan running the strip is still hot ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes it is still hot.
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
okay this tells me the compressor is overworking. what you need to do is remove the food in the freezer and then the back panel inside. (the rear wall) once thats off take a look at the frost pattern on the coils, are they evenly frost lightly ? or are some frosted but not all ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Frost Pattern even. Light to Medium Frost.
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
okay do you know the temp in the fresh food section ? is it normal? does the refrigerator seem to run all the time without shutting off ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The temp in Fresh food/freezer set at normal temp. Seems to be running normal. Fan is continually on.

Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.

can you get a thermometer to put inside the refrigerator section and get a reading ? we have covered the causes for this and the only thing left is the compressor constantly running to reach the set temp. if it runs all the time and the temp doesn't get to where its suppose to be the system overheats and causes the mullion to get how, the coils run through it to eliminate moisture on the gaskets and mullion.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Put thermometer in refrigerator. What is the "Mullion"?
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
the mullion is the center strip between the doors. and yes put the thermometer is the refrigerator section.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Awaiting thermometer reading to stabilize.
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
okay thanks.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The Refrigerator Reading is 53 Degree's. The Fan is still on for the past 45 minutes.

Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
okay thats the problem. for some reson the refrigerator is way high. this should be down around 38 degrees. thats why the compressor keeps running, its trying to get down to the correct temp but cant. this causes overheating, can you feel airflow from the freezer ? through the damper assembly ? (vent)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Wife Say's temp set high on Refrigerator. Turned it to normal setting. Can feel airflow from Damper Assembly. Mullion feels cooler. But, still warm. Frost is building up on Coils in Freezer heavier at Upper/Mid Portion 9/10.
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
Okay, the frost is the only thing I worry about, there could be a defrost issue in this. let it run and see if it cools down and the mullion cools also. let me know later whats going on with it.
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.