Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

I have a Kenmore washer model # XXXXX Has slow speed

Customer Question

I have a Kenmore washer model # XXXXX Has slow speed only any any other speed function wants to over heat the motor.
speed switch has been replaced and new motor drive in March 2012.
This problem just happened a week ago. Can you please help.
Thank You Greg
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today

can you resend the model number with a space between each number? it didn't come through.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Model # XXXXX
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.

your issue is with the timer itself. this is common on these, the timer feeds two speeds to the motor at once which overheats the motor. in other words its trying to run in two different speeds at once. you need to order and replace the timer. theres nothing else between the timer ,speed switch and the motor. below is a link to order the timer.

timer thanks and best wishes, Bryan

Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Bryan I installed the timer yesterday and still no fast speed I have a new timer,speed switch,and a 4 month old motor. I can't think of what else to do. Can you help me ? Thanks Greg
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
is it just the spin that doesn't go fast or the agitate also ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Both spin and agitate
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
wow thats weird, you've changed just about everything. (electrical) I'm beginning to wonder if the transmission does have an issue. let me pull some service sheets on this, it may take a while so hang in there. thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
let me verify the spin agitate issue and I am doing a load right now. can I get back to you with a positive answer in a few minutes ?
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
sure I'm here .
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok yes slow speed agitate and spin are actually faster than fast agitate and fast spin motor hums a little when the change is made from slow to fast like laboring. It also takes a while to reach full speed about 20 or 30 seconds on slow speed. it never reaches full speed in the fast mode and motor humming slightly
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
does it seem like the clutch maybe slipping ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
not sure how do you tell. the noise being made when spinning seems relative to the speed. When I turn the tub by hand seems normal not to loose or tight for what that's worth. I was wondering if the switch main motor drive would have anything to do. PT# 8529896 that came as part of the new motor. is there a way to test the trans. bench test or on the machine
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
the centrifugal switch didn't come with the new motor ?

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here
bench testing the transmission there really isn't a way, you can take the motor off the transmission and turn it by hand and see if its binding. thats about all you can do to that.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The centrifugal switch did come with the new motor. what would the chances be if it were bad would I have symtoms like I do. I just want to be sure about what I do before I spend any more on this washer. I don't know what else to check.
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
well theres only one other thing I can think of that may be an issue and thats the motor capacitor but I don't think thats the issue . where did you buy the motor ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I bought it at a place called Appliance Parts Centers here in Columbus Ohio 614/238-0050. I have used these guys for more than 15 years They have 4 stores around here. this is the one I use closest to me
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
well to be honest I would take the motor to them and have them check it for you. you have replaced almost everything in this. I cant for the life of me see what else can be done. take the capacitor also and see if they can test it.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok Thank You Bryan. That's what i'll do
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
Okay , Good luck and best wishes. Bryan