Appliance Tech Larry
Appliance Tech Larry, Home Appliance tech
Experience:  Over 35 years of in home appliance repair and service
14308609

I have a Frigidaire/Electroluxe side-by-side refrigerator,

Customer Question

I have a Frigidaire/Electroluxe side-by-side refrigerator, model PLRS267ZAB6. After the ice maker stopped making ice last week my dad (who is visting) checked the solenoids and determined they are working. Oddly, it began making ice shortly after that. We did note that the water filter had been changed just days before and that we did run water through the system as instructed. I've have had this fridge for 10 years, have replaced the water filter at each indication, and it still operates perfectly. OF note is that the ice maker appeared to be leaking at the back (where the water flows down the chute) and leaving a stalagtite between the ice maker and the ice bin at the very back of the bin. Once it started making cubes again (even as the small leak continued), the ice bin was full in 24 hours (using the increased ice production mode). It continued to work until my dad tried to "level" the unit. He thought that it was overflowing rather than leaking, but nothing has been done that would have changed the level of the refrigerator or ice maker. He removed the plastic cover (where you can access the Water Fill Adjustment and gears), but then removed the metal cover. He noticed a spring at that point and put the cover back on. The ice maker failed after that. It finished the freezing of water in the maker, and ran the heat cycle to discharge the cubes, but the "prongs" did not complete the rotation cycle to expell the cubes completely. Cubes were on top of the ice maker, and the prongs were stuck at about the 7 o'clock position (if you are looking at the icemaker after opening the door). I moved the wire arm to the "off" position and then back to "on" but it still doesn't work. A note in my manual says a test cycle can be run by rotating the motor gear counterclockwise, but the motor gear does not budge, nor does the timing gear. Unfortunately, my dad is leaving tomorrow and I'm in a remote area with very limited tech resources. I use my icemaker ALOT. Can you help?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Tech Larry replied 2 years ago.
Hello I'm Larry and I will use all my training and knowledge of 40 years to help you with your Problem today ,, thanks

are the fingers not laying flat pointing toward the left hand wall?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

no, they are not flat. They started the process to expell the cubes, and are stuck. After checking again, they are just above the slots, maybe more of a 10 o'clock position rather than 7 o'clock, on the left side.

hate to tell you but the gears in the icemaker are the problem and was most likely sticking in the fill to cause all this in the first place so all you can do is replace the icemaker, it cost about $117 and the part number is(NNN) NNN-NNNNwhich you can get it at a local appliance parts dealer near you ,, you may check around of some of the sites on net and find one cheaper or on ebay if your not in a hurry to get it going again ,,, Glad i could help you with your problem so please leave me a positive rating of one of the top 3 smiley faces for me before you leave for my time and knowledge ,, thanks
Experience: Over 35 years of in home appliance repair and service
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I would agree with this if there had been a problem with the prongs in the first place, however, this part was working fine until the metal cover was removed, which would indicate that something went wrong with the spring or some other internal item at that point. I was hoping you may have had experience with that issue? (my original problem was a water fill issue, which has since been resolved, other than the small leak). Any additional ideas?
thats what i'm saying ,, on this unit you do not remove the metal plate, he messed it up when he did it, you will have to replace the icemaker now in other to fix all the problems with it
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Obviously not what I wanted to hear :(. I do appreciate your quick service on a Sunday, and the information for the part number. I did give positive feedback, but the site said "access denied", so I'll try again. Anyhow, have a great day, and thanks for the help.
it showed that it went though ,, thanks and have a great day