APPLIANCE GURU-John, Business owner

Fridge is not cool and freezer is not freezing, cool air in

Fridge is not cool and freezer is not freezing, cool air in the freezer compartment only, everything seems to be running compressor is very hot
Hi, thank you for using this service. I will be assisting you with your question today. Could I get the model number off of the unit please?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
lists on tag model no. 363.(NNN) NNN-NNNN think just the(NNN) NNN-NNNNis model #
Thank you give me a few minutes.

Is the fan motor in back by the compressor running?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

i took the part off yesterday, to the best of my memory the fan motor was still running, matter of fact when I opend the freezer door I could feel the air moving

What part did you take off?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

it was mounted in the back by the compressor, thought it might be the capacitor or a relay, it was not attached to the compressor

That may be the capacitor, the relay is attached to the compressor under the black box on the side of the compressor and would be the most likely thing to have gone out. Did you ever notice the compressor making a clicking sound?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
did not notice compressor making a clicking sound and do not see a black box on the side of the compressor, do all models have one, this fridge is pretty old
Yes it should have a black plastic cover on one side of it where the wiring goes to the compressor.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
that was what i was looking for, so there should be a black box on side of compressor and that should contain the relay which could be my problem
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i suppose if i find the relay and it does not solve my problem then it must be the compressor that has gone bad and I might as well junk the fridge, thanks for the help, where am I suppose to rate your service at
Yes the relay is a small brown part that plugs into the compressor, the wiring goes to it, its possible you may have the older style relay on it. On the older style relay you put a ohm meter in the 2 hole connectors if its right side up you should get a ohm reading, turn it upside down and you will get no reading. The new relays work off temperature, one way to check it would be to shake it , if its bad you will fill it rattle sometimes. If your not sure you can replace the relay there only around $8.00. If the compressor is running good but you still have no cooling you have a major problem, the compressor is bad, I have had experience in the past with the compressor pumping oil into the refrigerant lines and had to be replaced. You will not be able to replace the compressor your self you will need a qualified technician. This job could run around $700.00 or more so if thats the problem you may just want to replace the refrigerator.