Appliance Tech Larry
Appliance Tech Larry, Home Appliance tech
Experience:  Over 35 years of in home appliance repair and service

I have a whirlpool duet dryer mod # XXXXX SER # XXXXX

I have a whirlpool duet dryer mod # XXXXX SER # XXXXX that has stopped working properly. The dryer won't start, the control panel isn't lit, the light comes on when the door opens. When it first did it, my wife said she turned the breaker off and back on, and it started working. When she told me about it, she had already tried that again, but this time it hadn't worked. I removed the panel cover and checked the breaker, removed and checked the outlet, removed the access panel on the rear and had 220 volts there where the pigtail is connected. All the connections appeared to be good. Removed the top cover and inspected the circuit board there and saw no loose connections or burnt spots. Couldn't figure out how to gain access to the control panel, so I left the breaker off and called a repairman. He showed up while I was gone, and when my wife turned the breaker on, of course it started working. He spent 15 minutes doing diagnostics of some sort, said there were no problems with the dryer, charged us a hefty service call fee, and left. By the time I returned, it wouldn't start. Can you please help us?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Tech Larry replied 2 years ago.
Hello I'm Larry and I will use all my training and knowledge of 40 years to help you with your Problem today ,, thanks

the control panel is completely blank but the light inside the drum comes on when you open the door?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes
it shows it has power so this mean the electronic control has went out and if you have had any power surges then this could have caused it but anyhow the part number is 8558753 which cost about $172 and you can get it at a local appliance parts dealer near you and if you wish let me know and i will see if i can find you one online ,, Glad i could help you with your problem so please leave me a positive rating of one of the top 3 smiley faces for me before you leave for my time and knowledge ,, thanks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your help. Can you please find this part for me, as there are no appliance parts dealers near me. Can you instruct me on exactly which part this is and how to change it. I am an electrician by trade, and should be able to do it with instructions. Thanks again, Frank
to replace it you will remove the screws from the back of the top and slide back and off, remove the screws holding the control panel, and set off, swap the control and put back together, its not really that hard to do and here is a link in order to order it and its from sears which is strange but the cheapest ,, thanks and have a great day

http://www.searspartsdirect.com/partsdirect/part-number/8558753/0026/110?pathTaken=directMatch&filterPart=&pop=flush&prst=0&shdPart=8558753
Experience: Over 35 years of in home appliance repair and service