John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
12064207

RA-HCH

Customer Question

Why would a new refrigerator compressor be 'overloaded'?
I tend to keep the drawers try full to help keep th coolness without straining at a higher temperature. What has happened?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.

Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today

do you have the model # ?

Expert:  SubZero_Wolf Expert replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I can help you with this. Having a lot of product in a machine does indeed help it maintain a better temp and in a very small way is a little easier on the compressor (it has to turn on less often)but not having a lot of food in the unit would not overload a compressor. If you left the door open it would, or had a failed fan motor perhaps. Could tell me a little more about the replacement and why. I'm sure we can figure out what's happening.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I will go and find the model number. We have been working on taking off the back panel which has very difficult screw/.bolts.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I can't find the model No. It is a ravel two-drawer undercount m0del.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
,I can't find the model No. It is a Marvel two-drawer undercounter m0del.
Do you have a voltmeter to check at the compressor? Is the machine making noise right now (ie sounds like its trying to run? When did you replace the compressor and why. Even without the model we can diagnose, just can't look up parts.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
This problem stared out with another technician before you took this on (all within a half hour).
I was told to unplug the refrigerator and then take the back plate off and check the compressor by shaking (?) it.

Yes, it did sound as if it were trying to start up and then fail.

I am still working on getting the back late off.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Almost have the back late off. These screws are really hard to release. And n I don't have a volt meter.,This problem stared out with another technician before you took this on (all within a half hour).

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
,Almost have the back late off. These screws are really hard to release.  And n I don't have a volt meter.,This problem stared out with another technician before you took this on (all within a half hour).

When you get back to shake the compressor, check to see if it is vibrating, or feels warm. Even without a meter we should be able to tell if its getting power. IF it's not moving at all then it may be a simple as a thermostat. If it is getting power then you either need a new compressor or have a leak of the freon.