John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
12064207

RA : IM

Customer Question

hi I own a subzero 611 and the Ice maker is not working. Ice level arm stuck/jammed in up position. Cannot bring it down I may have bent ice making assembly a few weeks ago by placing beer bottles on top of ice and closing door.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Barry G. replied 2 years ago.
Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX you for choosing our service.

Your ice maker is broken if the arm is stuck in the up position. The bad part is the ice maker and its no longer available.

There is however one possible repair. Remove the white cap on your ice maker arrowed blue below. Underneath that cap does the part look like the part at the bottom of the page here? Sub Zero does not have an ice maker breakdown and so I cannot see if its that type or not.

Barry
CLICK HERE TO ENLARGE
graphic

graphic
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
no it has a big gear and a small gear both in white plastic.
Expert:  Barry G. replied 2 years ago.
I understand. It was worth a try, some of the Subzero ice makers do use that part. Let me relist your question for all the techs to review. Someone will reply when they think they can help and they will be able to see the conversation we have had.

Barry
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok will wait to hear back from you.
Expert:  Barry G. replied 2 years ago.
I found one, do you have an ohm meter to check a fuse with? If you do set your meter to any ohm setting. Remove the ice maker and the take the wire harness out of the ice maker. If you remove that same white cover there you will see a lock that holds the connector in the ice maker. Put one of the leads from the meter to each end of the wire where I have arrowed the fuse below.

That may not be exactly the same wire harness you have but yours will have that fuse in it.

Barry
CLICK TO ENLARGE
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
let me get back to you regarding this. thx. PS there are screws holding a plate there. No lock that holds the connector in place. will try and take a pic for you.
Expert:  Barry G. replied 2 years ago.
I understand. The best time to catch me is 8 to 8 eastern time. I am usually here earlier and also here later as well but those are the best hours.

Have a good night,
Barry
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Barry, here is a jpg of the ice maker with the gear cover off

http://s3.amazonaws.com/f01.justanswer.com/JACUSTOMERbqbtikt7/2012-07-02_210918_photo.jpg
Expert:  Barry G. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX going to take a look, were you able to check the fuse?

Barry
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
there is no fuse on that wire harness at least I don't see one. Are you sure there is a fuse on that perticular model? I turned the big gear clockwisw and the lever/arm came down. Ice bucket is empty now will wait a couple of hours to see what happens. Used hairdryer to heat up ice make to make sure no ice was formed. Moral of the story: ...never put beer bottles on top of ice in bucket for fast cooling!!!
Expert:  Barry G. replied 2 years ago.
LOL yea that is the new rule of the day!.

Yes that is a very different ice maker than the one that is being shown. There is not a fuse on that style. I have the original parts list for your model and took a look at it and its not showing that ice maker. I recognise that one its the same as the one that is used in Frigidaire refrigerators. It is fine to rotate this style of ice maker just like you did. Give me a shout if you need me or if you would like, let me know how it goes.

Thanks,
Barry