gst85
gst85, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  i have over 15 yrs experience in home appliance repairs and installs
51919146

Short version: If the dryer vent is clear, is there something

Customer Question

Short version: If the dryer vent is clear, is there something that I should check that would cause the cycling thermostat to fail? Is it likely that the new repair thermostat is faulty, or am I just unlucky

Whirlpool Model# XXXXX gas dryer runs but doesn't heat.
Cleaned exhaust vent line, no obstruction.
Ohm tested thermal fuse, cycling thermostat and high limit thermostat.
Cycling thermostat(NNN) NNN-NNNNtested zero resistance on outer terminals and
infinite resistance on inner poles. Installed new thermostat, dryer ran and heated for less than one load, then stopped heating. Bought second thermostat, ohm tested it prior to installation, readings were same as above, called for replacement.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  gst85 replied 2 years ago.

gst85 :

good morning.will the pilot ignite at all?

Customer:

Haven't tried or checked the pilot. I assumed that it wasn't lighting since it wasn't heating.

gst85 :

after you start the dryer you should hear a click.then the pilot should ignite.

gst85 :
Customer:

will it click if the cycling thermostat won't allow current?

Customer:

just trying to save myself some work, I could reinstall the faulty thermostat to see if it will click.

gst85 :

go ahead and bypass the high limit thermostat.

Customer:

The high limit shows zero ohms

Customer:

Should I bypass the cycling thermostat?

gst85 :

go ahead and bypass it.then try starting it,you should hear a click.

gst85 :

bypass the thermal fuse as well.

gst85 :

are you still working on it?

gst85 :

are you still there?

gst85 :

im not sure if you are still there but i am about to go offline for a few hours.

Customer:

I'll do that, thanks for your help.

gst85 :

your welcome.

gst85 :

before you go please click on a smiley face.then rate me if i have been helpful.

Customer:

I hot wired everything as you suggested and the burner lit and ran. Then I hooked up the thermal fuse and the high limit thermostat and left the cycling thermostat hot wired. It lit and ran fine. Seems it must be that cycling thermostat that is the problem. Which makes me think I had a faulty "new" part twice. Unbelievable. Thanks for giving me the courage to hot wire and find the problem.

gst85 :

no problem.glad i was able to assist you.

gst85 :

clicking a smiley face will credit me if you have no further questions..

Customer:

In your experience, is this fairly common for a new repair part to be faulty? You haven't weighed in on that yet.

gst85 :

in my 15yrs of doing this .yes this problem is quite common

gst85 :

to answer your question.

gst85 :

toghether we were able to get to the bottom of it i wish you the best of luck.

Customer:

Your service has been very valuable. But, even though I LOVE chat support, I'm not too in love with this site's chat software. It seems to go dead, doesn't respond etc. Oh well, that's not your fault. Thanks again. I (we) made good progress today. Now let's hope the next cycling thermostat is in good working order.

gst85 :

i understand how you feel.and you are very welcome.

Customer:
gst85, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: i have over 15 yrs experience in home appliance repairs and installs
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The final outcome is that the dryer works now. I installed the 2 new gas valve solenoid coils and the gas came on and stayed on as needed. Wife says it's still not drying as fast as it should, but I'm hoping she can adjust.
Expert:  gst85 replied 2 years ago.
glad i was able to assist you.good look to you in the future.