romr2009
romr2009, Repair Technician
Experience:  32 years practical systems experience: computer/phone, automotive, appliance, & electrical control
24179821

I have a dometic RM2611 fridge in my RV. I have the same problem

Customer Question

I have a dometic RM2611 fridge in my RV. I have the same problem with electricity and propane. I have disconnected the thermister and have direct wired the heating element I have added a fan in the back by the coils to help with air flow I am pretty sure my door is not leaking. My problem is when I get up in the morning the temperature is actually below freezing but in the afternoon it rises to almost 70 degrees. I am out of ideas.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  romr2009 replied 2 years ago.
Hello Kirk and thanks for choosing the JustAnswer.com Appliance category.

• Can you feel hot air coming out of the chimney at the top or your RV?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I went up on top of the RV tonight and took the cover off of the "chimney" I felt on the screen. I did feel hot air coming out. However, it was not a steady flow I would feel hot air then I wouldn't then I would feel hot air again. There was a slight breeze but I do not think that it was having an effect on the hot air I was feeling or not feeling depending.

THANK YOU

Expert:  romr2009 replied 2 years ago.
  • Check the airflow:
  • The outside air goes into the service vent at the side, to the burner/heater flue of the boiler then goes past the condenser near the top to remove the heat from the system, then out the chimney.
  • Is there any smell of ammonia?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No, there is no smell of ammonia nor is there any yellowish powder. It is at the side vent that I had attached the temporary fan to see if that would help but it did not so I have since removed it.
Expert:  romr2009 replied 2 years ago.

• Has it alwys been like this?
  • Has it ever worked on gas?
  • Service/repair/problem history?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I ust purchsed the RV I have been going through it so I am not entirely sure. The guy we purchased it from said everything was working good. I just am puzzled as to why the tempurature can be so good in the morning and so bad in the afternoon.
Expert:  romr2009 replied 2 years ago.
  • Do not run the unit for extended periods without the controls connected - you can damage the boiler tubes and cause a clog.

-----

• With the unit running open the service access panel/vent.
  • Use your hand to feel the temperature difference between 2 areas: the boiler assemby (vertical enclosure) and the absorber (large circularly wound tubing).
  • Report back with the results.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I will hook everything back up. I felt the two areas, the boiler assembly is very hot I put my hand on it but cannot leave it there for I would say more than a second. However the absorber which is about at the same height but directly to the side of the boiler I put my hand on it and it is also very hot but I could leave my hand on it for about three seconds before it really started toget uncomfortable.
Expert:  romr2009 replied 2 years ago.
  • That is a good sign that both areas are about the same temperature.
  • This means you have neither refrigerant loss (much hotter absorber) nor clogged piping (cool absorber).

-----

• If you have not had a non-compressor driven refrigerator before, you have to realize that it is a very slow process.
  • Any leak in the door gaskets will allow the cold to leak out especially when the weather is hot. (A dollar bill on the closed door should provide resistance when pulled out - test at all locations)

-----

• Also critical is the external airflow discussed previously.
  • There should be no air path from the external vent to the inside of the RV.
  • There should be no dead air spaces above the unit behind the cover.
  • Check for loose insulation in the chimney area causing blockage.

romr2009, Repair Technician
Experience: 32 years practical systems experience: computer/phone, automotive, appliance, & electrical control
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I went out and did the dollar bill test. In almost every spot it seemed to not have any resistance. Only on the very bottom of the door did I feel what I considered resistance. I had some weather stripping laying around so I put that around the door temporarily to see if that helps.  after putting the weather stripping I did the dollar bill test again and honestly it did not seem to make much of a difference. But I will leave it and check the temperature tomorrow afternoon to see if it will stay cold enough. If that does the trick I will need to know where I can get new stuff for around the door and I looked and could not figure out how I would replace it. And I do not understand the no dead space above the unit behiond the cover part.
Expert:  romr2009 replied 2 years ago.

• There is a sealing strip (wood?) at the top of the unit.
  • If you remove the strip you can see behind the unit where the outside air flows.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I checked this afternoon after adding the weather stripping. It definitly seemed to help. Now I need to find out where I can purchase a new seal and how to install it. I looked and could not find how to take the door apart to install a new seal. How is this done?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Okay, I have now purchased and installed a new gasket kit. I put the gasket kit on Monday night and installed the doors on Wednesday. I turned the fridge back on Thursday afternoon about 4. I checked the tempurature of the fridge now at about 5 afternoon on Friday. The new gasket kit seems to have had no effect on helping with the temperature. It is at 70 degrees right now after abouit 24 hours of running. Any more ideas?
Expert:  romr2009 replied 2 years ago.
Did you ever check the dead air space directly above the unit?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Is this strip accessed from the inside or outside of the RV. I just went out and looked and could not find where there would be an access cover for the dead air space. I also just checked the temperature in the freezer and it reads 26 degrees.
Expert:  romr2009 replied 2 years ago.
Will lose internet in 2 minutes....

Directly above the unit, inside the RV.
Just like a hat on your head.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
There is a panel above the fridge and I did feel it and it is warm but I do not see how to "open" the panel to see if there is dead space. , ,Is this strip accessed from the inside or outside of the RV. I just went out and looked and could not find where there would be an access cover for the dead air space. I also just checked the temperature in the freezer and it reads 26 degrees.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Not sure if you got my last reply I see a panel but do not see how to open the panel to see behind it to find out if there is dead space or not how can I access this area , ,Is this strip accessed from the inside or outside of the RV. I just went out and looked and could not find where there would be an access cover for the dead air space. I also just checked the temperature in the freezer and it reads 26 degrees. I have been getting weird things happen when I am responding not sure if you have been getting these.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sorry if I am being redundant but every time I trNot sure if you got my last reply I see a panel but do not see how to open the panel to see behind it to find out if there is dead space or not how can I access this area , ,Is this strip accessed from the inside or outside of the RV. I just went out and looked and could not find where there would be an access cover for the dead air space. I also just checked the temperature in the freezer and it reads 26 degrees. I have been getting weird things happen when I am responding not sure if you have been getting thesey to respond something weird is happening so I am not sure if it is going through. But
Expert:  romr2009 replied 2 years ago.
Can you send me a picture using the paper clip icon above?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here
Expert:  romr2009 replied 2 years ago.

• Looks like you will need to cut a hole in the wood or unscrew 6 screws of the frame from the wood/base to pull the unit out.
  • Click here.
  • Does the vent below the unit in the picture lead to the air intake for the unit on the outside?