gst85
gst85, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  i have over 15 yrs experience in home appliance repairs and installs
51919146

my maytag washer runs fine until it gets to the rinse cycle.

my maytag washer runs fine until it gets to the rinse cycle. at that point it sounds like its struggling to spin and it shuts down , although the timer continues on . after 15 minutes or so i turn it back on and its fine

gst85 :

good morning.so once it gets to the spin cycle,will it start to make a humming noise then shut down?

Customer:

yes

gst85 :

ok try this,rotate the tub manually clockwise just give it one good turn.them tell me if it has lots of tension?

gst85 :

are you still with me?

Customer:

yes . i went to do what you suggested and found that my wife is doing a load

Customer:

this time it ran just fine so its not doing it every time

gst85 :

ok no problem.so what you can do is.once it gets to the spin cycle just manually rotate the tub and tell me if it has lots of tension

Customer:

ok . will do

gst85 :

based on the problem that you have it seems that your transmsiion has a gear that is bad.

Customer:

not lots of tension . can spin it with one hand. when i turned it back on it sounded like it was straining but it finished the spin cycle at full speed

gst85 :

ok great so the transmission seems fine.since you have stated that it does not do this all the time.it seems that once your motor starts to overheat it will then fail in the spin cycle.what you have a two speed motor.

gst85 :

about how old is this machine?

Customer:

4 years

gst85 :

ok.does your wife tend to overload the tub as times?

Customer:

yes

gst85 :

ok that will cuase this problem as well.if you can ask her not to wash blankets and overheady clothing.

Customer:

ok. do i have to replace anything

gst85 :

the motor would be the only part that may need to be replaced in the future.to avoid this matter.just make sure that the machine is not overloaded.

Customer:

even when she does a mini load now it sometimes does it. shold i replace the motor

gst85 :

only replace the motor if it goes out.may i get the model model.so thati can get you the part number?

Customer:

ok. i'll get it

Customer:

its LAT2300AEE

gst85 :

thanks.be right back.

gst85 :

Manufacturer Number 12002353.www.repairclinic.com.here is all the info that you will need .just incase it does give out.

Customer:

thanks .. have a good day

gst85 :

your welcome.before you go,please click on a smiley face.then rate me.have a great day.

Customer:

ok