Barry G.
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  27 years in home appliance repair. EPA refrigerant transition and recovery certification type I & II.

My GE refrig and freezer are both not cooling. I unplugged

Customer Question

My GE refrig and freezer are both not cooling. I unplugged for 5 hours yesterday and then plugged in for about 20 hours but it did not chill. While defrosting I saw no signs of condensation or evaporation externally.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Barry G. replied 2 years ago.
Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX you for choosing our service. Please take your time and make the checks below.

There is a sticker up high on the wall, may I have the model number from that sticker please?

Check to see that the freezer fan is blowing steady air out of the vent in the freezer, is it?

Go around behind the unit and remove the lower panel. Touch the compressor on the top. Is the compressor hot, warm or cold and is it vibrating? And have you heard a buzz or click from back there?

Is the fan back there working as well?

Thanks,
Barry

CLICK TO ENLARGE
graphic
View Full Image
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
GTS22WCMARWW. Fan is blowing in freezer checking compressor now
Expert:  Barry G. replied 2 years ago.
I understand, please take your time.

Barry
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

plugged in, heard click. Fan is blowing but compressor is cold. Not ice cold room temp cold

Expert:  Barry G. replied 2 years ago.
There are 2 areas that could click, one is up high on the back wall under a metal panel and the other is down on the left side of the compressor. It should repeat every few minutes, can you tell which area is clicking?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Click was the fan going on. I have the covers off on the bottom and up by the main board. Compressor is doing nothing, almost like no power to it.
Expert:  Barry G. replied 2 years ago.
Do you have a volt meter or a test light? If you have a meter set it above 120 volts ac. Unplug the refrigerator and remove the compressor cover on the side. Make everything safe then turn the refrigerator on. Put one lead to a nice clean frame ground and rotate through the wires on the compressor. How many have voltage?

Barry
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No meter and i cannot get the cover off anyway. One last question, considering the fan is blowing the issue is either that the compressor is not working which mens either the main board is bad (thus test voltage) or if all voltage is gettign power then the board is good but compressor is bad. Does that make sense?

Expert:  Barry G. replied 2 years ago.
Yes it does make sense. The fan is on a different circuit on that board from the compressor.

Also there is one other part that is in the compressor wiring. Follow the wires, can you find one that goes to a black rectangular part with 2 wires on it?

Barry
CLICK TO ENLARGE
Expert:  Barry G. replied 2 years ago.
It is the part below.

Barry
CLICK TO ENLARGE
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
That has orange and white going to it
Expert:  Barry G. replied 2 years ago.
Yes that is it. Give me a few minutes to explain how it all is wired and that way if you can get your hands on a volt meter you will be able to determine which is the bad part.

Barry
Expert:  Barry G. replied 2 years ago.
The power from the power cord in the wall outlet goes to the main board. From there it goes to the compressor and the part that has the (rectangular part) orange and white wire gets power from one side of the compressor then the power goes through that part back to another connector on the compressor.

So this is how to test: First do the frame ground test with one probe on the frame and rotate through the wires on the compressor. If you find not power replace the main control board.

If you find power at the compressor the perform the same test on the rectangular part. You should find power on both wires (orange and white)

If you find power at the compressor on 2 wires but the compressor is not hot after 15 minutes replace the parts attached to the side of the compressor. They will pull straight off leaving the pins pictured below.

If you find power and the compressor becomes extremely hot after having power and after about 15 minutes there is the possibility the compressor is bad. If you have questions please ask, you can use the reply to link pictured below.
CLICK TO ENLARGE

Barry
CLICK TO ENLARGE
graphic
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 27 years in home appliance repair. EPA refrigerant transition and recovery certification type I & II.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
,How do I get the cover off of the connections into the compressor?
Expert:  Barry G. replied 2 years ago.
There is a slot on the top of the box for a screwdriver, use that to lift while rocking the top backward.

Or sometimes there is a band around the box. Press the corner of the metal band in toward the compressor and then pull the end out that is up next to the compressor.

Barry