SubZero_Wolf Expert
SubZero_Wolf Expert, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Licensed Appliance Journeyman

my fridge suddenly stopped working properly.the problem seems

my fridge suddenly stopped working properly.the problem seems to be motor tries to crank up but does not remain crank
Category: Appliance
Expert:  SubZero_Wolf Expert replied 2 years ago.

SubZero_Wolf Expert :

Hello, I can help you with this. If the compressor in the back is starting to turn and then not able to , you will need to replace the compressor. Depending on the age and condition of the machine that may not be economical. Let me know if you are referring to a different motor. Do you have the model number?

SubZero_Wolf Expert :

hello

Customer:
Customer:

i am not sure if it's the compressor this seems to be alright is there any relay that controls the starting of this motor

SubZero_Wolf Expert :

There is a starting relay on the compressor. If the compressor starts at all (runs for at least 1 sec) then the relay is not a cause. If the compressor can't even turn you can purchase and wire in a "hard start capacitor but they tend not to help for very long.

Customer:

the unit makes a click click sound but does start

SubZero_Wolf Expert :

Do you have access to a multimeter and able to get to the back of the unit?

Customer:

not right now just woke

Customer:

i have one will be ready to check later

SubZero_Wolf Expert :

We would need to test to know for sure. Based on what your saying it is in the compressor or relay. Would you like the information on the hard start? Would you be installing it yourself?

Customer:

yes

SubZero_Wolf Expert :

A compressor takes some pretty serious tools so you could verify 120v at compressor terminal, try the hard start and if it didn't work call a refrigeration tech with a pump and gauges. How old is the unit?

SubZero_Wolf Expert :

HERE for hard start

Customer:

last year a tech recharged the unit for me.not sure the age was a gift but looks relatively good

SubZero_Wolf Expert :

Recharges can be strain-full on compressors. That may have contributed. If it was a low charge again it would still make constant sound, in fact more than normal.

Customer:

could it be a voltage issue

SubZero_Wolf Expert :

Very unlikely. As stated above I would verify 120v at the compressor, but It is very unlikly that wiring or voltage could be the issue.

Customer:

so you really think from this conversation that the compressor is going bad

SubZero_Wolf Expert :

Without you being able to verify voltage I can't be sure but based on your info, yes compressor/compressor start relay issue. If you would like to check voltage and get back to me to be sure that's fine.

Customer:

will measure later when i am really up and about

SubZero_Wolf Expert :

Feel free to post any time. I will be notified. We can continue as long as you would like and even after you rate my assistance level.

Customer:

ok

Customer:
Experience: Licensed Appliance Journeyman