Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience:  Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.
21107370

RA - gz

Customer Question

Refridgerator is not cooling. The temperture buttons are at -- and when pressed nothing happens.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 4 years ago.
Hello and thank you for using this service.

Can you give me the complete model off the unit. Thanks!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Maytag PBF2255HEQ
Great thanks,

This is a pretty common issue and I believe the evaporator is frosted over and blocked up. If you open the drawer and look at the back panel on the very bottom you will see white frost more than likely. If you do you need to do this:

Unplug the refrigerator for 10 secs and plug it back in. Open the refrigerator door and hold the light switch in so the refrig lights go out.

Press the refrig temp down button 3 times and then release the light switch. You should see F and D in the displays. If you do.....press the refrig temp down button 1 time.....you should see the letter S in the refrig display.

Then press the refrig temp up button once....You will see the letter L

Finally press the refrig temp down button 1 more time...and you should hear the unit shut off and the display should say 4 and 4.

If that happens wait for about 1-5minutes and open the freezer drawer and listen...you should hear a sizzling and you should see the frost melting off the back bottom area of the panel. If you do you need a new control board. This is very common. here is a link to the part...it is part #5 at this link.

CLICK HERE

All I ask is you rate my response and tips are appreciated!