Randy
Randy, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  25 years of overall experience: Owner and technician of own appliance repair business.
18559950

A few seconds after I turned on one of my burners, an alarm

A few seconds after I turned on one of my burners, an alarm started sounding. The initials "-FC-" appear in the screen on the front of the stove control panel. If I press "Cancel", the alarm stops for about 15 seconds, and then it starts again.

How do I make it stop? What is causing this alarm?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Randy replied 2 years ago.
Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I am here to assist you. What is the model number of the stove please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have no idea -- the stove was in the house when I bought it, and there is no service manual. I have looked on the oven door, inside the oven and on the top of the stove. I can't find either the model number or the ID number for this stove.

Where else should I look for the number?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I found the model number. It is SVD48600B.
Expert:  Randy replied 2 years ago.
Okay, does it happen with only one burner?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No -- it happens with all four burners.
Expert:  Randy replied 2 years ago.
Okay, just a sec.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Okey, dokey. I'm standing by.
Expert:  Randy replied 2 years ago.

Okay, the FC fault code means there is a communication error between boards. I am going to send you an error code chart and if you need to replace the board the part number is XXXXX I am also sending you a link to a diagram and the board is #28.

http://www.searspartsdirect.com/partsdirect/part-model/Jenn-air-Parts/Range-Parts/Model-SVD48600B/1266/0122008/M0211013/00007?blt=06&prst=0&shdMod=SVD48600B

JENN AIR
Range/Stove/Oven Fault Codes

Failure CodeConditionCheck/Repair
F1Power to element relay energized during time of day displayWiring harness shorted or change power relay board (PRB) Note: for double ovens, change second oven board
F2Oven temp sensed; over 600F sensed by control in time of day mode, bake mode, or over 900F sensed in clean mode.Ohm test the oven temperature sensor, if OK, change power relay board.
F3Cooling fan on with no oven function selectedCheck oven temperature sensor or wire harness to oven temperature sensor
F4Shorted oven temperature sensorCheck oven temperature sensor or wire harness to oven temperature sensor
F5Power to element relays disabled in cook mode1. Intermittent oven temperature sensor or wire harness or,

2. Intermittent contact on power relay board
F7Shorted key sensed for 32 seconds1. Membrane shorted, or,

2. Display board defective
F8Shorted meat probe alarm1. Probe jack or harness to probe jack, or,

2. Probe sensing temp above 250F
F9Door lock safety circuit on power relay board sensedReplace power relay board
FFInvalid temp reading on power relay board (PRB)Check oven temperature sensor and wire harness, or replace power relay board
FCommunication error between boards Wiring harness, check harness wires for continuity, or replace power relay board
FCCommunication error between boardsWiring harness or power relay board (PRB)
FRSecond oven error sensed1. Check oven temperature sensor and harness, or,

2. Replace second board
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The link you sent is unavailable (according to the message on the website). It sounds as if I will need to replace the board, but not much chance of doing that tonight. So ... how do I turn the damned thing off?
Expert:  Randy replied 2 years ago.
Okay, the link is Searspartsdirect.com and then put in your model number to pull up all the diagrams. Now top stop the alarm go ahead and unplug your stove. Also, if you want you can keep it unplugged and light your burners with a match if so desired.
Randy, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 25 years of overall experience: Owner and technician of own appliance repair business.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for trying to help. You gave me as much information as possible on a Saturday night before the Fourth of July, when no one else seems to be around. It's not your fault that the Sears web site is unavailable because it's being serviced. Unfortunately, it leaves me pretty much where I started, with my only option to unplug the stove. I actually had figured that much out, but I was having trouble finding the plug (I'll still can't see it, but if I have to, I will turn off the circuit breaker that serves the stove.) So ... the botXXXXX XXXXXne is that you didn't solve my problem.

Again, thank you for trying to help.