Randy
Randy, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  25 years of overall experience: Owner and technician of own appliance repair business.
18559950

Side -by -side not cooling correctly, freezer not making ice

Customer Question

Side -by -side not cooling correctly, freezer not making ice , refrigerator not cooling at all. Changed water filter yesterday is the only maintenance ever on this less than yr old unit. Have unplugged for a few minutes to see if something will reset to no avail. Any ideas?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Randy replied 4 years ago.

Hello, my name is Randy and I am here to assist you. Do you happen to have the model number of the unit? Also. look inside your freezer at the back wall and let me know if there is any frost buildup.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ED2VHEXVB01
Slight frost on an aluminum cover in freezer
Expert:  Randy replied 4 years ago.
Okay, inside the freezer, can you hear the fan running?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
fan is running
Expert:  Randy replied 4 years ago.

Okay, the frost is a good and bad thing. Good because that means the compressor is working correctly. Bad because there shouldn't,t be any frost. You need to take off that aluminum cover off to get access to the coils and see if they are frozen over.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I can tell they are frozen over without removing the cover after emptying the freezer. will using a hair dryer to thaw them solve this problem? It's been so hot here even the AC is struggling.
Expert:  Randy replied 4 years ago.

Yes the hair dryer will thaw the coils and get you up and running but only temporarily. You need to replace the defrost control board as your unit is not defrosting like it should be. I am sending you a link to a diagram and the board to be replaced is #4 on the diagram. I am here for further assistance and thank you for your time and patience, Randy.

http://www.searspartsdirect.com/partsdirect/part-model/Whirlpool-Parts/Refrigerator-Parts/Model-ED2VHEXVB01/1198/0165000/W1007082/00011?blt=06&prst=0&shdMod=ED2VHEXVB01

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hair dryer is running, tons of frost behind cover. Could high humidity be the culprit or is the defroster for sure ill?
Expert:  Randy replied 4 years ago.
The defroster is the culprit. Also, after you get the coils defrosted look at the thermostat that is connected to the coils. It is the round thing and make sure it is flat on the top and not "blown" out. If that is the case where it looks separated then that is your problem. That is the defrost thermostat. No matter what your problem is that or the control.