Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience:  Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.
21107370

I have a gas dryer model #mdg6400aww i got from a friend it

Customer Question

I have a gas dryer model #mdg6400aww i got from a friend it would not advance on the timer i ordered a new timer from parts supply and installed it as directed it stills runs but still does not advance nor does it seem to heat up help me please
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 2 years ago.
Hello and thank you for using this service.

On this dryer the timer is run by the thermostat so if it does not heat the timer will not advance in the auto dry. The most common failure is the ignitor on this particular machine. You need to open the door. Remove the two phillips screws on the hinge side and the tow phillip screws on the other side with the white plates under them. Then grab the front on the sides and pull the front panel off then lift it up off the bottom tabs. Once off you will see the burner tube on the right hand side. You will see the ignitor inside the tube with two insulated white wires going to it. Look at the porcelain filament with a flashlight. You will probably see a burn broken spot on it right in the middle towards the end of the filament. It is just a small looking spot on it. If you see that it the ignitor is bad and needs to be replaced. There is one 1/4" screws holding it in. If you loosen it enough you can slide the ignitor forward and off. Here is a link to it. You can also test it with a meter for 120 volts while running. Just unplug the ignitor and use a volt meter to see if you have 120 volts to it. If you do and it does not glow it is bad. If you find something else let me know.

CLICK HERE

All I ask is that you leave me feedback by rating my repsonse...tips are appreciated
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience: Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
this makes sense but it makes me question myself in replacing the first timer maybe it was the gas ignitor from the beginning ???????? i will see if this is the problem in the morning its going on midnight if this works can i come back on to tip u and say thanks
The timer was probably just fine, this happens a lot
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i did what you said and the ignitor does lite up but the burner never comes on the timer does not advance
Does the ignitor glow up and then die out without anything lighting?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes it glows but nothing fires up
Alright you need to replace the gas coil kit. Those are the two black round coils on top oif the gas valve. That will fix the issue you are having. They go bad all the time for that problem. Here is a link to the part and tips are appreciated!

CLICK HERE

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i dont know how to reply to you when we r not finished i ordered the coils on top of the gas valve and replaced them as u instructed and i am proud to say now the dryer igniter glows and the gas lites up the burner the motor turns the tub but still the new timer does not advance what do I do now i have put in parts now about 140.00 including shipping (not your problem or fault) if i can get the timer to advance i still have enjoyed working on it and have enjoyed your schooling can u help and what do i owe u i will check my mail again b 4 bed 2 night thank you so much u r very knowledgeable
If the unit is set to Auto mode, the timer advances only when the thermostat trips. If the vent is blocked and the unit is tripping on the High limit the timer will not advance. Set it to timed dry 20 minutes. If it does not advance you may have a bad timer motor. You can use a volt meter to check the voltage at the timer motor wires. There are two small black wires coming off the timer motor that go to terminals on the timer. When it is running in timed dry mode you should have 120volts across those two terminals. If you do and it does not advacne you need a new timer.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
in the beginning of this i received info from the expert to replace the timer that is what i did it was the first step then u said to check the igniter then the gas coils my wife set it on timed dry but it never moves i just went and did the same the vent is completely clear the clothes dry wonderfully but one has to turn the unit off on a side note when the dryer door is opened it does not stop the tub i will check back n a few mins on a reply
If the unit does not stop when you open the door you may have a switch issue. Now as far as the timer, I believe you may have an airflow issue. If the seals are bad or something is allowing air into the machine through them the unit may be cycling on and off from the high limit thermostat. Will it move when you set it to a timed dry 20-30 minute setting?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
it will not move in any cycle you set it on it runs smooth and quiet the discharge air is very warm can a new timer be bad ????? i am at wits end does it has a thermostat that has to heat up to tell the timer to start advancing the timer ????
Yes the new timer could be bad, but you really need a volt meter to check if the timer motor is getting 120 volts. Otherwise you would just be guessing. I think it is bad looking at the wiring diagram to the unit, but a meter is the only way to really be sure.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i will borrow one sunday but not sure of my knowledge where and how to check it and on june 30 u said that the timer was run by a thermostat can it be bad
It can be, but if the unit does not time on a TIMED DRY mode, then the thermostat has nothing to do with it.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i checked the volts on the yellow and orange wire going to the timer i had the plug off the timer but was plugged in to the wall and i dont think im getting 110 volts there what next?
You have to check it with the plug on the timer and with the unit running in timed dry mode.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i unpluged the dryer from power i inserted metal push pin in orange wire going to timer motor on back of timer plug i did same to yellow wire going to timer motor then i pluged it back in to power these two wire were on the diagram as to timer motor i then set the the meter to rear volts i turned the dryer on to time dry cycle it came on heated up but never advanced the timer i touched the probes of the volt meter to the push pins it never read past 10.5 to11.5 volts ????????????????????????? i know you must be tired of my bs but i am just dumbfounded
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Inaccurate answer.
none of the answers has fixed the problem
You may have the wrong timer in the machine. There are a couple different ones and have to be specfic by the serial number. If the unit is heating up and tripping on the operating thermostat the timer motor should have 120volts to it. You would have to wait and see when it trips off on the operating thermostat to see this and use you meter. Other than that I will Opt out
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i ordered the thermostat by the model # XXXXX installed it no one asked the Serial # XXXXX i can only assume so at this time but will check into it again this morning i dont really understand your term tripping that seems to imply to me its changing something mode,operation,etc. when it doesnt seem to even start to advance triping would seem to say quit or quit drying and neither is true ???????????????? good morning thk u
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
does any one esle have an idea on this
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Inaccurate answer.
pose all questions to other experts to see if any one has an idea on this problemn i can only assume that appliance guru opted out as that was his last remark to me thank you
Expert:  stephenmichaelz replied 2 years ago.
Hi Im Steve,Thank you for choosing JA. The expert is right on and the there is 2 timers depending what series it is.make sure you get the model AND serial # from the unit go back to where you bought it and determine it is the correct one or reinstall the old one if you still have it. remove the connector that plugs on that timer and inspect all the pins to make sure they are connected straight and none of the wires have backed out of that connector,other than that he covered all the bases. the tag for the model# should be on the back of the console and the series should be in between the model and serial #. good luck! if you ordered the timer online you will have to call them or message them somehow.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i have verified that 110 V at timer motor it still doesnt advance the parts store says they gave me the correct part ????????????? help
whatever theyre policy is on returns on electrical parts they should exchange a defective part, i can see if you just didnt need it and plugged it in but obviously if there is 110v there and it doesnt advance its a bad timer.my suppliers would exchange it.what part # do you have on the box or timer? and what series is the dryer? or did they order it from the part # on the old one?