Barry G.
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  27 years in home appliance repair. EPA refrigerant transition and recovery certification type I & II.
11179659

I unplugged my Kenmore model 106 left it off for several days

I unplugged my Kenmore model 106 left it off for several days trying to sell it. I plugged it back in to show a potential buyer that it would cool and make ice. It's been plugged in for three days and it won't make ice and the top half of both sides are not as cold as the bottom half.
Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX you for choosing our service.

Check to see that the freezer fan is blowing steady air out of the vent in the freezer, is it? Can you feel air anywhere?

Thanks,
Barry
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The fan at the bottom of the freezer compartment is running.
Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX the one below and under the freezer or the one inside? I am sorry I just want to be sure I understand correctly.

Barry
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Inside the compartment, freezer and underneath. Both.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX not expect that, the first thing that came to mind was that sometimes when one is unplugged for a while the freezer fan shaft will stick the the seal and the motor will not turn. That would account for all of the cold being in the bottom instead of being circulated.

That was the only Idea I had, I will relist your question back to the top of the list for all techs to view. As soon as someone can respond to your question they will and they will also be able to see the conversation we have had so far. Also save this page to your favorites.

Barry
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
You're right . It was the air coming out from underneath that I felt. There isn't any air coming ut of the bottom vent. What do I need to do.
If you will unplug the refrigerator you can then clear everything out of the lower shelves in the freezer. Remove the screws in the lower panel arrowed green below. Then press down where the part is arrowed blue. That will release it and you can remove that panel. The fan is right in the area where the blue arrow is pointing. Make all wiring safe and then plug the refrigerator in. If the fan is not spinning give the fan a turn or two. Is that what was wrong and is the fan working now?

CLICK TO ENLARGE
graphic
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Awesome! Another satisfied Just Answer customer. Fan is spinning away! Thanks!
Good deal. Sometimes when this happens several weeks down the road that fan will start making noise. If it does the fan motor will need to be replaced. It does not always happen but I thought I would let you know so there are no surprises.

It will cool fine now, thank you for the opportunity.
Barry