Appliance Tech Larry
Appliance Tech Larry, Home Appliance tech
Experience:  Over 35 years of in home appliance repair and service
14308609

I have a Whirlpool 19.6 cu. ft. auto defrost upright freezer

I have a Whirlpool 19.6 cu. ft. auto defrost upright freezer model #EV200N, which is located in a basement.
2 weeks ago Sun. night the power went out for several hours but the freezer seemed fine.
The following Sunday we discovered a
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Tech Larry replied 2 years ago.
Hello I'm Larry and I will use all my training and knowledge of 40 years to help you with your Problem today ,, thanks

please recheck the model number from inside the fridge please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
EV200NXGW03 F2
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
EV200NXGW03
sorry i missed you ,, is it still not cooling?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
A week after the power went out, the freezer warmed and the contents were defrosting. We emptied and unplugged it. We plugged it back in the next day after calling for service. After plugging it in it cooled and stayed below 0 degrees for the rest of the week. (the appliance service said to call back when it was warming again). So after several days of being below 0, I put a few items in it, then about 3 hours later it warmed up to about 40 degrees. After removing the frozen goods yesterday about 1:00 pm, it has been below zero since.
Could there be something wrong with the defrost cycling?
so the temp keeps going up and down ,, correct?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes. Right now it's at -20
this sounds to be to be the thermostat or defrost timer, do you have to turn it off and then back on for it to start cooling again or will it just start cooling by itself?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The first time it recovered to expected temps. after being unplugged.
Yesterday after several days of expected temps., (below zero), it warmed to 40 about 3 hours after some frozen goods were placed inside. The second time below zero temps. returned without being unplugged or adjusted.
acting like it is i would go ahead and replace the defrost timer, part number 4357124 which cost about $35 and the thermostat that's part number 4356988 and it cost about $73 and you can get these at a local appliance parts dealer near you to be sure to cover all the possibilities on this problem ,, thanks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
We had a tech come out; he said the problem is that the compressor cycles on, overheats, then doesn't come on again when it is supposed to. ( I don't have his invoice in front of me, so this description is my words from what I remember reading the invoice). So they are recommending a compressor replacement.
If you can give me some more info to help me make a decision I credit you.
Even though a new freezer isn't much more than the compressor replacement, I'm not sure which will be the best choice.
If I went new, there's a 20.7 Frigidaire model #LFFH21F7HW, that has an exterior temp readout and built in alarms for temp and power. ($600)
Maybe a compressor replacement, (under $500), might be a better compressor than what comes on new ones(?) I've heard that because of energy requirements, cost of copper, & sourcing from China, that new
freezers/fridges have less copper & smaller compressors.
So what do you think?
well to tell you the truth if the compressor needs replaced due to overheating then it may be pumping oil up into the system lines and even after replacing the compressor it may still have problems so i would replace the freezer instead and it will come with a full warranty as with replacing the part then it would only come with a 90 day warranty on part and labor ,, hope this helps make up your mind for you ,, thanks
Experience: Over 35 years of in home appliance repair and service