Appliance Medic
Appliance Medic, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Factory Trained CFC Technician
13570846

Kenmore Elite French door bottom freezer not making ice or

Customer Question

Kenmore Elite French door bottom freezer not making ice or dispensing water...
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Medic replied 2 years ago.

What is the model number of the unit so I can better assist you? Also when you press the paddle on the front of the door for water do you hear a low hum from the back of the unit?

Thank you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
model # XXXXX 76523500 yes to the hum
Ok perfect I figured so just wanted to make sure. So if both the ice and water stopped and the filter is new the reservoir must be frozen. The reservoir sits behind the crisper drawers. Number 9 in this link click here for part

Check the temp setting if they are at 0 in freezer and 36 37 in refrigerator the temp sensor would likely need to be replaced letting it get to cold in the refrigerator. You can either unplug or use a blow dryer to un thaw the reservoir.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok. Ill check right now. If I thaw the reservoir out would I still need to replace the sensor. They are set at 2 and 38, should I change to 0 and 37?
If you haven't been inside the refrigerator for days then I suspect that would be why it froze if you have been using it normally then I suspect the sensor is in fact bad. The sensor is number 22 in this link click here Its up by the control inside the refrigerator.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Bam! I just tried hair dryer and water is now coming out of water dispenser inside the door. I don't hear any or feel any water going into the ice maker...any thoughts?
BOOYAH! I knew thats what it was:) The ice maker will cycle on its own and fill up. You should see ice in the bin by morning:)
Experience: Factory Trained CFC Technician
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
no ice this morning. any ideas?
Interesting did the ice maker stop making ice long before the no water at the door? Look at the small white fingers that push the ice out of the mold. What position are they in? Are they level with the horizon..? Also put your fingers in the mold do you feel ice?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
the water dispenser actually stopped months before the ice. fingers are in the down postition and feel no ice or water
Ok well that would indicate a bad ice maker. The fingers should always stop in the horizontal position level with the horizon. Guess you need to replace that ice maker to fix the second issue.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
FYI. I just checked and WE HAVE ICE!!
Hot diggity well thats good!