Tim Alan
Tim Alan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Amana, A&E (Whirlpool) ,and Maytag factory service

Our washing machine filled the tube with water, but did not

Our washing machine filled the tube with water, but did not start the agitation cycle. I am trying to figure out if the motor is shot, or if there might be a reset on it, or if there is some other reason why this would happen.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tim Alan replied 1 year ago.

Tim Alan :

Hi my name isXXXXX will try and help you with your issue.

Tim Alan :

What is the complete model number of your unit?

Tim Alan :

On some models that would be an indication of a lid switch failure.

Customer:

Model # XXXXX /p>

Tim Alan :

Ok all I see are xxxxxxxx, if you could put spaces between the numbers for me

Customer:

1-1-0-2-6-8-8-2-5-0-3

Tim Alan :

Ok thank you, XXXXX XXXXX unit filled and stopped and the timer did not advance is that correct?

Customer:

Yes, and if I move the dial, push in or pull out nothing happens.

Tim Alan :

Okay that would indicate a faulty lid switch and that would be more likely than a motor or timer.

Tim Alan :

The lid switch is under the control panel on the left hand side

Tim Alan :

To access use a putty knife and slid it right under each end cap and push back on the panel, it's held in place by spring clamps, push in on the putty knife to release those clamps

Tim Alan :

Full Size Image

Tim Alan :

If you can see the image the spring clamps are item number 8

Tim Alan :

Full Size Image

Tim Alan :

The lid switch is item number 9

Tim Alan : Hidden lid switch assembly

PART NUMBER:(NNN) NNN-NNNNthis is the part number for the lid switch

Customer:

So I should just replace that switch and it should be okay?

Tim Alan :

If you have a volt ohm meter you can check the switch first

Tim Alan :

Most people don't

Tim Alan :

If not just replace it, that is a common failure and 95 percent of the time when that unit just fills and stops, the lid switch is bad.

Customer:

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX do that.

Tim Alan :

Your welcome, have a great weekend

Tim Alan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: Amana, A&E (Whirlpool) ,and Maytag factory service