SubZero_Wolf Expert
SubZero_Wolf Expert, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Licensed Appliance Journeyman
46655473

I have an older model (probably 1990) Thermador/convection/microwave

I have an older model (probably 1990) Thermador/convection/microwave oven, and I can't find the manual on it. I'm trying to clean the oven and have locked the latch, pressed the clean button and turned the dial to clean, but nothing is happening. I can't find any model number on the oven to give to you

SubZero_Wolf Expert :

Hello, I can help you with this. Without the model number I can only offer a few tips, does this unit have small tabs on either side of the oven window that look like they can slide up and down?

SubZero_Wolf Expert :

If you have the glass shutter slides on this unit you will need to slide them up to run self clean.

Customer:

No, I don't see any slides. However, I did finally find the model number, but it's hard to read. It looks like CMT-131-EC, and the manufacture date is June 1988

SubZero_Wolf Expert :

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX that up right now, so I can see whitch unit it is.

SubZero_Wolf Expert :

That unit is no longer supported by thermador an thier tec website at all. They havn't even put up and parts diagram info. I have worked on a few ot these oven in the field and will help you as best as anyone can with the limited info. also note that once we find the failed part there is a good chance that it may not be available. Do you hear the lock click when you engage the lock switch?

Customer:

Yes. Actually, I'm not interested in fixing it if it's broken, I just need to know if I'm missing a step in the process of starting the self cleaning cycle.. If I had the manual, I could follow the steps, but I can't find it. Would it be available online or do you have access to it?

SubZero_Wolf Expert :

The only info for the oven from thermador is the service manual. From my experience it should like you are doing all the right things, but I'll double check the manual right now.

Customer:

Thanks.

SubZero_Wolf Expert :

The lock and two switches are the correct steps, you must have a failed lock motor or door switch.

Customer:

Bummer. Well, I'm not going to get it fixed because we will be remodeling the kitchen soon and the oven will be replaced. I'm amazed nothing has gone wrong with it before now, since it's so old. The oven still works like a charm.

Customer:

Thanks for your help!