The Home Smithy, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  30 years repairing appliances
3079445

I have an LG washer: Model WM2487HWM. It was not spinning

Customer Question

I have an LG washer: Model WM2487HWM. It was not spinning the water out after rinse, Error code OE. No blockage on hose. No filter blockage. Took drain pump motor off......no debris blocking inpeller blades........ tested motor with 120V........motor works.......ran water through drain hose from end of hose back through washer and out end of hose that attaches to the drain pump housing...... Clear. If this is a problem with electronics on the panel I guess I've gone as far as I can go with it. Does that sound like the only solution left?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  The Home Smithy replied 2 years ago.

Hi. I'm Smitty. I am a professional appliance repair consultant here to help you diagnose, and repair, your appliance.

Put it back together but leave access to the pump. Start the unit and let it fill some. Set it to a drain cycle and measure the voltage to the pump. You should have 110vac. If you do not then replace the main conrtrol board. If you have 110vac at the pump see if it actually pumps the water out before you get the error code. If it does then the water level pressur switch is the problem. Pull the hose off of it and blow through it. It should be clear. If not clear it, or replace it. If the hose is clear then replace the presure switch.

If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don't hesitate to ask!

IMPORTANT! PLEASE READ.
You should NEVER have to use use either "Helped a little" or "I expected more", unless you feel that I really screwed up the answer. Both leave a permanent black mark on my customer satisfaction rating.
Instead, please reply to me via the REPLY or CONTINUE CONVERSATION button and I will do anything short of lie to you or commit a homicide to make you happy.
Thank you, Smitty

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Smitty. I don't know how I can access the pump because I have to put the front panel back on with the door, gasket, etc. to operate. The pump is at the bottom and no access panel of any kind. I have to have top back on also. (I assume) I'm not an appliance tech. I'm an electrical contractor who tries to fix things first before paying a $350 charge for a certified tech (they're all an hour away from here). I'm not sure which hose houses the water level pressure switch. I guess I could try that first. "If you have 110vac at the pump see if it actually pumps the water out before you get the error code." ------ Water is not pumping out before I get the OE code. It is standing in the tub and not going into spin cycle.
Sorry I was thinking of a different model.One moment and I will see if I have a service manual for you.

Ok below is the flow chart for the OE error code. Check these items and if all ok please let me know.

This is the formula for the water frequency readings.

Press the CUSTOM and PRE-WASH buttons simultaneously. The digits indicate the water level frequency.
For example, if the display indicate 41, the water level frequency is 20+(41X0.1) = 24.1 kHz.

graphic

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks Smitty. I'm not going to be able to get back on this till tomorrow. It's 11 PM here. I've never used this site before so I have one more question. I feel like you've answered my original question very well. I mentioned that if it got into electronics on the board, I'd probably be in over my head. As a contractor the last thing I want to do is take advantage of your time, so how do I handle this? I want to be sure you get paid for this, but can I come back to you after I've tried some of these steps when I put the washer back together tomorrow or would that be going beyond my original question? I trust your answer on this, your reputation speaks for itself.

Tim

Tim, go ahead and do what you feel comfortable doing and then if you want I will walk you through the rest. Rating me now will not close the question. You can ask all the followup questions you like untill we get this resolved.

Im thinking that the pump is not getting voltage from the main control board. If that is the case then testing the pump for proper ohms reading, and then for voltage at the control board is the only way to know.

Experience: 30 years repairing appliances
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I agree. I don't see what else it could be but a voltage problem coming from the board. I won't know until tomorrow but I'm assuming I can put everything back together but leave the control panel haning where I can access the board. Thanks again. Job well done!

Tim

Tim you need to measure the ohms value of the pump before you button it up. Even if the pump runs out of the unit it may be weak. Apply a load to it and it falls on its face.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Good point, I'll do that. Thanks again.

You are welcome Tim. Let me know if you need anything else. Ill be on most of the day tomorrow.

Have a good evening. =)

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hey Smitty, are you online?

I measured the ohms on the motor leads. I'm getting 27.7. The manual page you posted said it should be 10 - 20 ohms. I haven't put everything back together yet. The manual says to replace the pump assembly. Does it sound like that will fix the problem or will I not know until I button it up, put the existing assembly in and check the voltage?

If the ohms reading is high then the motor is probably on the way out. You can button it up and test at the control board, but if the board shows good you will have to tear it apart again to replace pump motor.

This time it is your decission, Tim.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hey Smitty,

I want to give you an excellent rating but I don't see where to do that.

Nothing to do with your service, but a general complaint about the industry. I'm flustered. I've been pricing that little drain pump and I can't believe that little nothing motor encased in plastic is $60.00. What a racket these appliance parts are. I know they have to make a living, but I compare everything to what I sell and there's no comparison. I'll sell a 125 amp panel for about that price and it will last 30 years.

Sorry, just had to get that out of my system. If you would tell me how to do the rating I'll get right on it.

Thanks again for the help.

Tim

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I replaced the drain pump motor. I'm still getting the OE error code, so I guess it's time to get a service man here.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Oh, one other clue that probably confirms your next place to check. The water drained after the wash cycle, so the pump must be working. It got hung up after that for several minutes and then the OE appeared. It seems like to me that the board is not telling it to rinse or spin.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I was going to try one more thing and I realized the page you posted from the manual wasn't for my model. I want to try to check the water level frequency using the CUSTOM button and the PRE-WASH button, but my model doesn't have a custom button. Is there any other button I can use to try this?

LG Model WM2487HWM

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
OK, I officially give up. I don't know how to rate you. I find nowhere on this site to do that. I can't get an answer from anyone, so I don't have time to keep trying to find out how to rate your service everytime I get an email asking me to do that.

Tim I am so sorry but this is the first I have seen of your replies!

You have already rated me so dont worry about that.

This is a definate glitch in the system and I will be informing our staff about it.

I have to step out for about an hour or so. I will give your question my complete attention at that time.

Sorry for the inconvienience.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No problem, Smitty. I know it's not you sending out the emails. Glad you got the rating. I was going nuts trying to figure out what I was missing. I got the washer going. I cleaned out the drain hose which was totally clogged up. I know that's not the main path the water takes out on drain, but I'm wondering if the clog was causing the water to back up. Plus, I filled it to max and then did spin. It worked after that. Thanks for your help.

WOW! this is the first time that the drain hose itself turned out to be the problem. If it gets clogged then you bet it affects the drain system.

Of course it is ironic that every drain problem solution starts out with "check that the drain hose is clear and unobstructed".

Sometimes you just gotta go back to the basics and get schooled again.

Glad you got it going, Tim.

Best, Smitty