Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!

I have a Maytag 3000 series front loading washing machine.

I have a Maytag 3000 series front loading washing machine. It appears that a AA size battery has gotten trapped on the outside of the drum. Makes a wonderful sound in the spin cycle. How can I get to it to take it out?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to helping you! You will need to disassembly the entire front of the washer or you may get very lucky and be able to access it from the under side of the tub. Try the tub first! Open the door and remove the four Phillips screws from the door opening, two on each side. Remove the front panel. Locate and remove the large rubber hose coming from the tub and going to the pump. Have lots of towels handy! If you cannot access the battery from there, let me know and I can tell you how to disassemble the front panel.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Kelly,
I have about 15 min. before the load in it is done. It might take a bit before I can try your first suggestion. Thanks for being patient. Smile
Expert:  Kelly replied 2 years ago.
I will be here for a few more hours, take your time!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I only see two phillips head screws on the right of the inside door opening and two allen heads that look like they hold the door onto the front. Should I take those four out?
Expert:  Kelly replied 2 years ago.
When you open the door, you should have two screws on each side. One side the screws go through the door hinges and the other side the screws go through plastic or metal cosmetic pieces used to hide the door holes if you want to reverse the door swing. Remove all four screws and the front panel will come off.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
how does the front panel come off? I took all four screws off and the front door as well and nothing seems to come apart.....
Expert:  Kelly replied 2 years ago.
What is the full model number? I believe you may have something other than an MAH3000AWW?!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The Model # XXXXX XXXXX and the SER# XXXXX
Expert:  Kelly replied 2 years ago.
I am so sorry, the 3000 series you initially posted threw me off. This one is WAY easier! Remove the three screws from the bottom of the front panel (number 5). The hose is easily accessed from the front. Before you do that, are you sure the battery is not lodged in the rubber boot between the boot and the tub? Pull that rubber boot back that seals the door and see if you can see it in there. If not, you will need to take the hose off the tub.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The item in question is in between the metal tub and the immediate compartment around it. I took the lower panel off and removed the smallest clear hose. Looks like a lot to do to get to that tub.........
Expert:  Kelly replied 2 years ago.
The hose you will need to remove is the large one at the base of the tub. If you cannot reach the battery from that hole, it is a HUGE job from there to access the inside of the tub. See if removing the hose allows access. If not, I can send you the service manual that will walk you through disassembly, but I will forewarn you that it is a 4+ hour job and requires 2 people to disassemble the tubs. Let me know if you find anything after removing that hose.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I do not know how to remove the larger part of that large black hose. The smaller part had a spring type clamp that I crimped with my pliers to remove. It feels like there is some type of a ball or roller under the larger portion. It seems to be sealed onto the housing very well. I don't want to break something taking it off. There are no screws, etc. that seem to be holding it on...... If I could get it off, I do not think I could remove the object from there........ Not feeling to excited right now.......
Expert:  Kelly replied 2 years ago.
No, it is unlikely that you will be able to access it from there, but possibly. There is a clamp that runs around the hose, pictured below. There is a check ball in the tub that will need to be pushed up to access the tub.

You will likely need to call for service. Expect to pay about 4 hours labor and a helper charge to disassemble the tubs. Also, you will need to replace the seal in between the tubs. This repair will run about $250-400, depending on the company you employ. The manual below shows what has to be done to disassemble the tubs starting on page 4-8. Please remember, your rating is of my service, not of whether the news is good or bad. Wink

Service Manual <----CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD MANUAL

Rating my answer "OK or better" is the only way I receive credit for helping you. If you need additional help or clarification, please let me know before rating my answer. I will work to earn your highest rating! You may refer back to this question for as long as necessary after rating, AT NO ADDITIONAL CHARGE, until your problem is resolved.
Bonuses are not mandatory but are greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience: Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!