SubZero_Wolf Expert
SubZero_Wolf Expert, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Licensed Appliance Journeyman
46655473

I have a 30" Dacor electric double oven that I HATE... We

I have a 30" Dacor electric double oven that I HATE... We purchased it about 7 years ago. We have had so many error codes requiring so many repair visits - all VERY expensive - that I want it OUT... No one reviews ovens like they do cars, or anything else. I feel so lost. I THOUGHT I had read great reviews about the Dacor - and look where I am. PLEASE, if I am in the market now, and I want a 30" electric double oven, with convection and self-cleaning in stainless steel, what do you recommend. I am willing to look at higher end products, as long as they are worth the money.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  gst85 replied 2 years ago.

gst85 :

good evevning.my name is XXXXX XXXXX assist you.

gst85 :

i would suggest that you go with GE profile oven.or whirlpool..i would only suggest these two makes.

Customer:

Hi Juan... Thanks for helping...

Customer:

Even with convection?

Customer:

Self cleaning - all that ?

gst85 :

your welcome.yes they have those features as well.

Customer:

Just curious - why those two? We replaced a Whirlpool with the Dacor because it was problematic... Maybe we are cursed.

gst85 :

i believe that

GE offers a 5yr manufacture warranty as well.

gst85 :

my opinion is that they are very reliable and long lasting models.

gst85 :

i would GE products.

Customer:

In your experience - have you worked with Dacor, Wolf, Thermador? any of those "higher" end brands. Curious why those are not recommended

gst85 :

i have worked with dacor but not a fan of them at all.

gst85 :
gst85 :

parts are exspensive for them.

Customer:

I guess I was looking for more detail from you... It is hard to just take two brands - not even specific models - especially when we haven't had luck with one. Aside from the warranty - which IS nice, are there any other features to pay attention to, as a consumer. And yes - Dacor repairs are expensive. I learned how to work the menu to clear some of the error codes myself.

gst85 :

before you decide i would suggest that you look into GE models.

Customer:

I guess we will start there... Thanks.

gst85 :

your welcome.

Customer:

I was hoping for details about various brands.... Example - Dacor had good ovens originally but lately have improved, Wolf has problems getting parts, GE is reliable and basic for average cook but use Thermador if you enjoy cooking and want exact temperature and excellent features. My favorite brand is AVCDDKK and the best model - if you have the money is 123344.... That was what I was looking for... I felt that getting two brand names - no DETAIL - was not satisfactory... When asked about specific brands, only one was identified as being experienced by the "expert." I'm willing to spend the time and the money - I wanted specifics - not general stuff.

gst85 :

i will post more info so that you feel comfortable about my answer.

Customer:

It is June 28 and I haven't received any additional information. I have received emails asking me to "Accept" an answer and rate the service. When I click on reply "button" on the accept page - it connects me to a page that says "Site Not Found." I was able to return to this conversation via the ratings email.

Expert:  SubZero_Wolf Expert replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I can help you with this. The wolf oven is the nicest as far as cooking quality and has better than average repair record, but does cost the most. The Dacor has bad preheat, poor electronic quality. thermador has better cooking than dacor but also struggles with electronics and cost more than dacor. I would recommend the Ge profile performance with the features you want (convection, ect) The reliability and cost cannot be matched. Perhaps the temps arn't as perfect as a wolf but unless you are a professional baker you wouldn't know the difference. Let me know if you have any other questions and I will be happy to help you promptly. Thanks, Sam
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Sam - Yes you are indeed giving me more information than the other gentleman... I do want to go a little further... I've looked at GE Profile line and you can only get ONE oven to be convection. Though not a baker - I do relish the ability to use convection heat in both ovens. Wolf is pricey, agreed. I'm willing to spend more money than the GE Profile - especially if I can get the ability for double convection. What are your feelings on Bosch? Kitchen Aide? Viking? Miele? Some other manufacturer?

Thanks
Convection is really great and I am a big fan. The Bosch seems to be a good unit and they do offer dual convection. They don't seem to sell a lot compared to other brands, so they may be one reason I see less failures. The viking floor gas products are very good, but the wall ovens are terrible. Kitchen aid, maytag, whirlpool and Ge are almost all the same machine as far as component design and theory of operation., as far as the ge lines go, the profile performance has a few more option, I would stay away from Ge Monogram and cafe lines, but all other lines are ok. Miele is the only machine that I don't have a lot of personal experience with (they only do their own service). I do hear good things from my customer who have them. Let me know anything else you need and we can keep going till you feel ready. Thanks! Sam.
Experience: Licensed Appliance Journeyman
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks Sam... Appreciate your responses.
Glad to help. Let me know if you find more questions and feel free to rate my help whenever you want so I can get some compensation for my time. Rating my answer will in no way close the question. You can continue with this thread as long as you'd like.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I'm confused. I keep getting emails to rate my experience. I have. I also "paid" the fee AND gave a tip. At this point, I have no further questions. Have you been compensated?
Thanks for checking with me, yes I have been compensated and am also grateful for your tip. I'll report this issue to the moderator and make sure you get no further emails.