SubZero_Wolf Expert
SubZero_Wolf Expert, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Licensed Appliance Journeyman

black gunk in Maytag Neptune front loading washer

I have a Maytag Neptune front loading washer (model MAH8700AWW). I've had it for about 5 years now. A few months ago I noticed small, slimy/greasy, black gunk on my clothes after washing them.
Today I pulled back the rubber seal that goes around the opening of the washer and noticed a HUGE amount of that black stuff. I tried to wipe it away but there is so much there and it's in all the crevices that I doubt I got even half of it. I don't want to pull too much on the rubber seal as I'm afraid I'll break something.
I always leave the door open after running a cycle to allow the inside to air dry. I have not (yet) noticed any foul smell.
Please help. thx. Anna

SubZero_Wolf Expert :

Hello, I can help you with this. This mold and soap scum combined and is common on front loaders. I can give you some tips on how to reduce the gunk and help prevent more build-up but there is no way to completely remove it.

SubZero_Wolf Expert :

You can run a few loads of vinger (1 cup per load) only, no clothes as well as purchase some long bristle brushed like pipe cleaners and scrub what you can reach. Depending on how soft you water is you should only use about 1tbs of detergent per load. Only increase if the clothes are not coming out clean.

SubZero_Wolf Expert :

In order to prevent more on new stuff when you get a new machine, you must leave the door open or ajar at all times when not in use. You must also wipe up the gasket after every load. Let me know if I can assist further. Thanks, Sam