SubZero_Wolf Expert
SubZero_Wolf Expert, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Licensed Appliance Journeyman

Hob has been working. wife cleaned surface. hob will not switch

Hob has been working. wife cleaned surface. hob will not switch on. little red light blinking when on switch is touched. Have tried to leave the power off for a few minutes. Then back on. Same results. Little light blinks when on switch is touched.
Please give me some ideas
Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I am here to assist you. Okay, this tends to be a common problem amongst stove after cleaning. If you have a hair dryer, go ahead and blow dry the area where your wife cleaned. If you get certain areas wet during cleaning, even damp, they will stop working. So go ahead and try the hair dryer and let me know how it goes.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi Randy,
The oven under the hob had been on for two hours before the hob started playing up.

Sorry for the delay in response. We had guests for dinner.

Just tried the hob again. Still only the little red light blinking. Even after switching hob off and on again.
Hello, I can help you with this. Did you try a hair dryer? Do you have the model number located under the unit? I'm sure I can help. Thanks, Sam
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: Other.
Initial answer did not work. Internet connection dropped and my dinner guests arrived. Could not get back to Randy.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi Sam,
Let me give you a summary and see how we go. Both oven (below hob) and the hob had been on for at least 2 hours when the initial problem started. Wife wiped the hob with a wet sponge and the "e" lights came on and the hob switched off. Would not come on again in spite of switching the hob off and after five minutes on again. All that happened on switch on was a small red light started blinking. This morning I tried again with the same results.

Did not try the hair drier as the whole unit had been hot for so long that the little water from the sponge dried almost immediately.

Do not have a model number at hand but the unit is a four-plate Siemens with the controls in the centre front.

Had a similar problem once before when all the "E" lights blinked for a while. Switched the hob on and off again and the problem rectified.

The hob is only 6 months old but was acquired in Dubai where we lived for the last 7 years.

Hope you can help
Thanks for the detailed update. E means that the machine thinks that you are continually pressing a key. The only two possibilities are either debris on the surface (unlikely since you just cleaned it again) or a temporary or permanent fault of the touch pad. If you have turned the power off then we can assume that it is only a permanent fault and the touch board will need to be replaced. If you are interested in replacing the part yourself the part number is XXXXX It is a fairly technical job so don't attempt unless you feel comfortable. Otherwise you will need to have a tech come out and replace that part. Hope you found this helpful, let me know if you need anything else. Thanks, Sam
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for your feedback. I rather suspect that there is a fault as this has happened before. Although as I said it did self rectify.
Could you possibly give some indication of where to find a tech that could come out?

I live in Midstream Estate in Midrand/Irene
In South Africa?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
That is right. Midrand - between Johannesburg and Pretoria.
Sorry to say I'm here in the states and not able to reliably recommend someone in south Africa. Sorry, but at least I feel that I can accurately diagnose the problem with the information you've given. Let me know if I can do anything else for you.
Experience: Licensed Appliance Journeyman