APPLIANCE GURU-John
APPLIANCE GURU-John, Business owner
Experience:  20 YEARS EXPERIANCE IN HOME APPLIANCE REPAIR.
59801830

I have a G.E. washer wmcd2050h6wc , coin box has a key stuck

I have a G.E. washer wmcd2050h6wc , coin box has a key stuck in it , the key is for this machine and is stuck in the half turn position . moves about a 1/4 inch in each direction
how do i get it to turn or find a way to get coin box out to change lock on coin box.
Hi, thank you for using this service. I will be assisting you with your question today. You will need to remove the top and remove the screws holding the coin meter on. Do you need anymore help?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
there is not a top on this coin box, this is a enclosed box with a side panel that a key opens, once you open the side panel, you can see screws to undo to take the coin box off. also looking in from the side there isc a metal plate that stop you from getting to coin box and coin slot.
Yes I was referring to the top of the washing machine. There are screws holding the box on there from the under side of the top of the washing machine.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
so i am able to take coin box holder off by removing screws, that still does not allow me to get to coin mech.door or get to the locking mech.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

You replied

Wednesday, June 20, 2012 3:48 PM EST

The way its built, what you need to do if the door will not open is to order a new door latch and pry the other one off, here is the link to the door latch.. CLICK HERE
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
was hoping there was another way, other then bending up the face of the coin box, by prying it open. possibly drilling out the lock as a last chance. I also can not find a blowup of the locking mech, showing the cam and sleves that lock the mech.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

You replied

Wednesday, June 20, 2012 4:19 PM EST

was hoping there was another way, other then bending up the face of the coin box, by prying it open. possibly drilling out the lock as a last chance. I also can not find a blowup of the locking mech, showing the cam and sleves that lock the mech
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

You replied

Wednesday, June 20, 2012 4:19 PM EST

I have thought of another way please do not reply till I do it deletes my reply.
While turning the key on the door try lifting up on the latch by sticking a putty knife in near the bottom of the latch and lifting up this is a picture of the door you need to order if this doesn't work you will need to order the door then you can drill through to get it off. This is the door and the simple lock.. CLICK HERE Please rate at a higher rating so I can get credit for this answer. If you need to reply click the reply to just above the ratings, do not rate.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
John the door you are showing me is not the problem the problem is the front door with the lock to the coin box, no one is showing the replacement lock for this, so if I pry it open or drill it I dont have a replacement without buying a complete new coin box assembly

Yes there is no way to get to that lock without opening the box there is no replacement lock for this you will need to get the coin box assembly. If the key will not turn, the only thing you can do is to order the box and replace it. This is the box. CLICK HERE.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Once again looking at this box , there is no indication that this comes with a coin box , lock and coin mech. which gives me the same problem , not having a replacement for the coin box, i can use the coin box and coin mech. and taking out the lock i still have the casing
Can you remove the key from the lock?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
That is the only problem I have as stated in the begining, If I could get the key out I would be fine

What I would try first is spraying the lock with WD-40 with the key in it the key in it if you can't get it out, also try tilting the machine back while you turn the key. Let me know if this works, I will see what other info I can get for you.

This is a manual on the washer and it gives info about the lock, look at page 5 at the upper right corner, turning the key clockwise should open it, you may still try using a putty knife to help move the locking cam.
Sorry , this is the manual. CLICK HERE
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I did give a good rating, my results were that the disc that turns the slide on the locking mech has 2 pins, one of these pins came out of the slot, which left the one slide wedged, so when i turned the key to open it with force it wedged against the plate. I took side plate of the box, used a screw driver to move the coin box side to side, and it was able to push the side of the lock that was part unlocked forward and out which allowed the other side to slide open. took lock apart and reset pins on to plate and tighten the mech . cause of problem nut on mech. was loose.

Great, I'm glad I could help and I'm glad you got it open, and thank you for using this service.