Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

I have a microwave that is humming.Mag tube change?

Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today

Good morning, Can you get us the model number ? has this stopped heating?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
still heating,mod# XXXXX
alright thanks. the magnetron can hum loudly when its ready to fail but this could also be the high voltage transformer , how loud is it ? when you hear the magnetron come on and then shut off(I'm sure you know the noise it makes when that comes on) does the hum continue or is it just when the magnetron is actuated?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Its been doing it for about 6 months now. so maybe its the transformer.the mag tube would have gone bad by now
yes that would be my guess, usually when a Magnetron starts humming it doesn't take long for it to fail. my guess would be the transformer, they can hum loud for a long time without totally failing. in most cases the transformer is more money to replace then a new machine.