Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

We have a GE side-by-side probably purchased in 2000, the freezer

We have a GE side-by-side probably purchased in 2000, the freezer still works, but the refrigerator side is currently up to 60 degrees. It's Model 20-27, but I don't know which one and it's not on the owner's manual nor can I find it on it. I've vacuumed out the coil (on the bottom) and made sure that the drain in the lowest freezer compartment is not clogged. Help! Is there possibly a restart button to flip?
Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today

Good evening, can you open the freezer and look on the back wall behind the food and tell me if theres any frost on it ? any at all ?
Hello I'm Larry and I will use all my training and knowledge of 40 years to help you with your Problem today ,, thanks

Bryan they open another post

http://www.eanswer.com/appliance/6t0hl-yes-quite-bit-frost-back.html

Hi this is Bryan, there a system wide issue I just saw this reply. okay what you have is a defrost problem. very common on these.remove all the food and the shelves in the freezer and then the back panel where the frost is. behind that there are coils that are frozen, take a hair dryer and totally defrost them until they are clear of all frost.you will need to replace the defrost heater at the bottom of the coils. your model # XXXXX XXXXX either the side wall in the fresh food section or the ceiling. I believe however this is the heater.for yours. I'm trying to answer this all in one reply in case we get cut off again.

View Full Image
your most likely has the old single heater. you need to order and replace it with this one. heres the link. http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Defrost-Heater-Assembly/WR51X10101/1399613 hope you get all this. put the back panel back in until the part arrives. thanks Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.