Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have a whirlpool gold quiet partner IV dishwasher that is

I have a whirlpool gold quiet partner IV dishwasher that is about 9 years old. The clean light is blinking when finished with cycle. I reset it following the directions you gave to someone else by hitting the hi temp and heated dry buttons twice. It ran the quick wash and started blinking again. So I reset it again. When I tried to run a normal wash the next day, it stuck at 71 minutes for about 15 minutes and then I cancelled the cycle. What should I do next?
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

OK so the dishwasher IS resetting which is good. The exact definition of this error means that your dishwasher is failing to heat the water in an allotted time. The error can be caused by numerous issues but the first thing you want to do is reset the control board.

Now if the error comes back (like in your case) on the next cycle, then you'll want to reset the board again and check several things. The most common reasons for this error is because the water coming from your household is just too cold. The dishwasher is expecting 110 degree water to enter your dishwasher, so if your pipes are cold, the water may only come in luke warm. To correct this issue, just run your faucet next to the dishwasher until the water coming out is hot. On another note, make sure the dishwasher is washing with good water pressure. You can put a cup in the upper rack facing upwards and run a cycle to see if it will fill within 10 minutes of starting the cycle. If it doesn't fill with water then you know that the dishwasher isn't producing enough pressure which, in turn, will cause the water to not heat. You'd want to take your pump and motor assembly apart to clean inside if you had a loss of pressure.

The second most common issue is that the door striker at the top of the door way start to bend "up" and won't contact the latch inside the door quite correctly. Just physically bend the latch striker down so that when you shut the door it barely slides over the top of the inner door liner and that will fix that problem if that is your issue.

You continue to have problems, you could also have a failed component including a faulty heater, control board, or high limit thermostat. You'd need to uninstall your dishwasher, disconnect power and lay it on it's back to check the resistance of the heater as well as the resistance of the high limit thermostat to confirm if they were bad or good. You should get tangible reading of between 5 and 30 ohms on the heater if it's good and less than one ohm on the high limit thermostat. If both of those devices check good, then replace the control board because that's the one device you cannot test.

Also, I do not receive credit for helping you if you do not choose one of the top 3 ratings, so if there is anything else I can help you with today just let me know.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ok. I ran hot water first and placed cup on top shelf. After ten minutes, the cup was full of water. I also pressed the door latch down. Then I ran the quick wash thru entire cycle. The clean light is no longer blinking. So I can assume its fixed? Should I run hot water every time I start dishwasher?
Yep, it sounds like it's working again. It's always a good idea to run hot water before you start the dishwasher, but unless your water is really cold (from really long water lines running through your house), you shouldn't need to do this every time you run a cycle.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi Appliance Doc,
I ran my dishwasher again yesterday and the clean light is blinking again. I reset it, ran hot water, and ran the quick wash cycle. It cleaned the dishes, but the light is blinking. I don't mind resetting it and running hot water every time to avoid a high repair bill. I don't think I can take it apart like you suggested. Any other simple ideas? Or do I need a repairman?
Thanks,
Karen
OK so if none of the easy fixes like turning the hot water on or lowering the door latch didn't fix the problem and you're not feeling confident about taking the washer apart, I'd call a technician out because it sounds like you need to replace either the heater or the control board itself to solve this one.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
How much does that usually cost? Saw that you can get a brand new dishwasher for $250 to $300. This dishwasher is 9 years old.
It depends on if it's the heater or the control board, but you'd be looking at about $175-250 depending on the part. So if you can get a similar dishwasher for the $250-300 range, that might be your best option.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ok Thanks.
No problem and good luck to you. Again, I'm sorry about the bad news.