Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

My Admiral Frost-Free side-by-side refrigerator/freezer is

My Admiral Frost-Free side-by-side refrigerator/freezer is not adequately cooling or freezing. I have, unsuccessfully, increased the temperature in both the refrigerator and freezer. HELP!!!! I bought the appliance new in 1988.
Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today

Good Morning. Okay lets get some information first. can you open the freezer and look at the back wall behind your food and tell me if theres any frost on it ? any at all? also is the fan running in the freezer?
Can you get us the model number ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
There is frost in the bank of the 3rd and 4th shelves in the freezer and yes, the fan is running in the freezer. I cannot locate the model number.
alright, what you have is a defrost issue. the freezer is not defrosting correctly. you need to remove the food in the freezer and the shelves so you can access that panel.you need to remove it so you can see the frost on the coils themselves. if the airflow is restricted by frost this will cause the issue of not cooling correctly. can you do that ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes, there is frost on the coils. What must I do?
okay, first how much ? a lot on all the coils? or just some of them ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
A lot of frost on some of the coils.

what you need to do next is take a hair dryer and defrost all the frost off the coils. on the top of the coils you will see one of these.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here
its the defrost thermostat. 90% of the time these fail and need to be replaced. this runs the heater for defrost. I would order and replace it. heres a link to order one. http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Defrost-Thermostat/67004757/1070917

defrost this for now and put it back together. this will run correctly until the part comes in.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you. I will follow your suggestion(s).
okay feel free to come back if needed. thanks, Bryan