Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

I left the door open on my microwave for a few hours and now

I left the door open on my microwave for a few hours and now when I close the door the inside fan and light will not shut off (it's not heating). It will heat if I select a heat program though.

I saw that it could be my door switches but don't know how to test this? is there a reset. I've tried everything.
Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today

Good Morning,could you get us the model number from inside on the side wall ? thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
hvm1540ln1cs

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX is one of the door switches has failed, the door switches are number 29 and 30 on this diagram .you will need a volt meter (multimeter) to test these. the one for the light is stuck in the closed position. there are two different switches,ones normally open and the other is normally closed. heres a link to the switches, the gray one above is normally closed when the door is shut,the black one normally open.check the switches and replace the bad on.

switch link.---- http://www.repairclinic.com/GE-Microwave-Model-HVM1540LN1CS-ID-707448-Parts?s=b3a6d707448e

thanks and if you have any further questions just ask. Bryan

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi Bryan. Is this a simple repair job or will I need to have an appliance repair person do this? How much do u think repair will cost?
Hi again, I usually recommend a tech do any microwave repairs but if your really handy and have the tools you could do this yourself. the switch itself is around $15.00 but you do need a meter to test them, the switches are behind the control panel on the left right where the door latch goes into the microwave. if you had a tech repair this it shouldn't run more that $100.00 with labor.Its really hard for me to say whether you can do this yourself it all depends on how much experience you have mechanically. Its not an overwhelming job though but I been doing this a lot of years so it to me seems easy enough.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hello Bryan

I had called to have the repairs you suggested. Because it was going to
cost a couple hundred dollars I decided to put it on hold but surprisingly
the issue resolved itself!

We were unplugging the microwave when not in use and one morning I plugged
it in to use it and it was fixed! The fan and light were not continuously
running and it was working perfectly.

Thanks for you help. You were likely still correct. It just resolved as I'm
sure these computer do sometimes.

Toni
great Toni, thanks and well wishes, Bryan