Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

I have a 12 year old Viking fridge/freezer. The freezer is

I have a 12 year old Viking fridge/freezer. The freezer is not working and the fridge is not getting as cold as usual. Is it possible / worth to try to repair the unit?
Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today

can you get us a model number so we can better assist you ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It's called "Built-in, Bottom Mount Refrigerator/Freezer VCBB Series" by Viking Professional

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX a few minutes to type my answer and if you have questions about the answer please click the "Continue Conversation Link" when I send it.

okay there should be a tag inside the refrigerator section that has the full model number. the number you gave me is a series number which doesn't bring up the diagrams, all that aside if you open the freezer is the fan running inside ? is there any frost on the back panel inside the freezer ?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes, the freezer fan is still running and yes, there was a crazy amount of frost on the back panel. My son is still searching for that number... F07270104802!!!!
let me know when you get back on.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The model number is: VCBB362R-SS
okay I cant bring up that model.Anyway what you have is a defrost issue. all that frost blocks off the air circulation and causes both the freezer and the refrigerator section to warm up. can you get the back panel out in the back of the freezer where the frost was ? remove your food and then the panel that had the frost on it. can you do that ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Do you mean the whole back panel or just the small part where the fan sits (I guess)?
yes. inside the freezer behind the food. do you think you can get that out ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
which one of the 2 possibilities do you mean: the entire back wall or that smaller fan panel?
you can try the smaller fan panel but what you need to get to is the evaporator coils which are below the fan usually. in order to find the issue and get this running you will need to clear all the frost behind the panels from the coils. the frost is restricting airflow which is causing your problem.