Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

I have a Maytag LaAT8034AAE washer. It does not agitate. It

I have a Maytag LaAT8034AAE washer. It does not agitate. It did occasionally spin but after running through a number of cycles it now does not agitate or spin. I don't hear the motor running as the timer runs through the cycle. I replaced the switch assembly but no change. It seems more electrical than mechamical but just not sure.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.

Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today

Good afternoon , you say you can hear the motor running but its not agitating or spinning ?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No, I don't hear the motor running.
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
okay give me a few minutes to pull up the model. I'll be back shortly. thanks Bryan
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
alright I have the information up. Are you saying you can hear the timer ticking down and advancing but the machine is doing nothing else ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes that was what I was saying but I have a new twist. I left the washer continue to run through the regular cycle. From the start it filled normally but no agitation, no motor noise, timer contiue to move forward with occassional switching or electrical sound. It got to the rinse cycle and spun out normally, filled with water and agitated, when it got to the final spin, nothing happened and the timer reached the end of the cycle.

P.S. while it was spinning and again when it was agitating, I raised the lid and it stopped and restarted when I lowered the lid so I am sure the assebly switch I replaced is functioning.

Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
okay , It sounds like its a timer issue. even though the timer is moving and counting down there are contacts inside that can get burnt and not contact. try this again and when its not working (spinning or agitating) try giggling the timer knob and also pushing it in and pulling it back on. does it try to do anything then ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I tried those things and there are noises eminating from the timer but no go. I was on the permanent press cycle and now switched to the delicate cycle to see if anything happens.

Agitated during delicate cycle but did not spin. I think you are correct in that it all seems to be tied back to the timer.

PS I noticed there was an "unbalanced" switch, in the parts list, which I assume is for uneven loads ( I have been running test cycles with no clothes), any reason to think it is faulty and signaling the washer to not agitate or spin?

Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.

the off balance switch would only kick this off if the machine was banging and out of balance normally. its possible the switch is bad but not common. there are several types of lid switches in these machines is this one yours ?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes, that is the assembly I replaced.
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
okay try one thing for me can you ? try opening the lid and loosen the lid switch and push it forward a little then tighten it and try this again. it could be out of adjustment a little and not contacting fully. can you try that ? you must have the lid up.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I did that after the initial installation when it did not agitate. I just tried it again and no change in situation. I have run it on a number of additional cycles and have not been able to get it to spin or agitate.
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
I have to go back to the timer being the issue if thats the case. thats all i can come up with on this . I believe the timer has a bad contact.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I order the timer. Let's wait and see befor rating. Thanks for your help.
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
okay.let me know. I cant think of anything else unless you checked the unbalanced switch.make sure its not engaged .you would need to check that with a volt meter for continuity.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Where is it located? I have a volt meter.
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
these are located under the top usually and on your I'm not sure because after looking at your diagrams I don't see it. that doesn't mean there isn't one necessarily its just that this is an older machine and I cant get all the diagrams such as the wiring. the front comes off this by removing the two screws at the bottom of the front panel. some of these machines have them and some don't. I cant get the wiring diagram so I'm not sure to be honest. if there is one it will be near the tub so if the tub goes out of balance it hits it and shuts the machine down.
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
Did you get my last reply? the site is having problems and I want to make sure you received the info.if so please use the rating system to rate my help. 3 stars or above is a good rating.thanks ,Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.